Skip to main content

The eyes have it.....


This also follows on from Sunday's seminar.

One of the things I had read about concerning zhealth was that it makes a big thing of eye movements, the visual system.

We spoke about the nervous system acting in terms of THREAT or NO THREAT. One of the ideas of the threat state was that the body will seek to fold in on itself - to go into a foetal position to some degree. As Rannoch said on sunday - you try to protect the soft sensitive parts with the hard bony bits. You curl up and bring your arms in front of you as you flinch, protecting your face, gut and genitals with your shoulders and arms.

In that post on Sunday I also talked about Rif / Chek's take on this:

  • going foetal is basically about flexion - everything flexes: biceps, abs, hamstings, pecs.
  • The opposite is going erect - the extensors work - the quads, the lats, the triceps, the lower back, the glutes. It is about extension.

Now another thing that mc mentioned on Sunday was about the impact of your eye direction, where you are looking. She goes into this more in a post today

eye movements connect with actions: up for extension; down for flexion.

If you are performing an extension - a push, a press for example - you will be stronger if your eyes - not your head - look up. If you are flexing - a pull, curl, row etc - you will be stronger if your eyes look down.

Try it for yourself, experiment. Strangely it works

Think about it in terms of posture. When people are threatened and they start to curl up - where do their eyes go? They look down, they look submissive, it accompanies flexion..... Confident, fully extended people are look up. The actions naturally go together. When you go with what is natural, you are reinforcing things perhaps?

Just some rambling but it all seems consistent.

Comments

BCR said…
Um... Evidence? Tried it double blinded? (That's not even that hard to do in this case)

If you tell someone this is the case, and then "test" it, in front of other people who have been told it is the case... Guess what outcome you're going to have?

I don't want to be labeled as anti z-health, but I really feel that it's claiming a lot without much (any?) evidence.
Chris said…
Placebo. Interesting thought
Anonymous said…
I'm curious BCR. Are you questioning the role of vision and the eyes on movement patterns or the extent to which ZH has emphasied their role?
Mike T Nelson said…
BCR

You can do a similar experiment yourself and/or on other athletes. While not double blinded, you can have them do a lift with eyes or without.

Most of the time (not all), I find eye movement to help. Again, it is individual also.

Rock on
Mike T Nelson PhD(c)
Extreme Human Performance
BCR said…
Anonymous - I'm questioning the way z-health states it's concepts as facts without any evidence.

As with some of the other things, i think that this could be a very good coaching cue, even if it has no direct physiological impact. If you tell someone to look up/down with their eyes, they will keep their head in a more neutral position as a side effect.

Mike - I could also do a double blinded test with other athletes very simply.

Get 2 people.
Give person 1 some instructions (maybe written) which explain the test to be done (without explaining the theory or the expected outcome or any of that).
Have them perform it on person 2.
Have them note the results.

I'm just wondering if this has been done. By anyone?
Mike T Nelson said…
BCR,

Yes, you are correct and this has been done informally at the I Phase cert.

As part of it, everyone tests the other persons eye movements without knowing what the outcome was before.

It seems to match quite well.

Is this a formal academic study, nope. Not even close. Would I love to see one--YES! I've spent many many years in academia and as much as I love research, it is normally behind what practitioners are currently doing. This does not mean what they are doing is good or bad, it just means that at times we don't have much evidence to state EITHER way. We must take what we have now and extend it to its logical conclusion in the meantime.

I know that in many more difficult cases I have had to use eye testing to get a result.

Athlete came in just the other day and we could not get his left glue to fire up really well (done via manual muscle test). I tested his eyes and found that for him, if he did some joint mobility work while holding his eyes closed and up, the glute would then fire up much much better. The same drill done before withOUT eye movement did not have the same effect.

Of course this is not a formal study and I would LOVE to see one; but my duty is first to the athlete to get them an amazing result in the safest, fastest manner.

If you want to do some research, look up "oculomotor" and you find some pretty cool stuff.

I hope that helps a bit. I would be interested in what you find.

Rock on
Mike T Nelson PhD(c)
Extreme Human Performance

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...