Skip to main content

100 Burpees

An 8 year old!?


There are two feelings competing as I watch this:

  • Wow - that kid is fit...I could not do that
  • Is this some kind of abuse? Do 8 year olds really want to do this? This isn't "play"..... In the natural world, would anyone chose to do this? Is there any activity in the life of a hunter gatherer that would approximate to 6 minutes of burpees?

Comments

Anonymous said…
The kid is fit, but it's probably more about who he looks up to and the people who are raising him. They do it and he does it. That's how kids minds work.
Anonymous said…
I remember in a crossfit kids video, all the kids said burpees were their favorite exercise.
L. Wu said…
You've read about the "Long-Term Athletic Development Model?"

That certainly has some perspectives on this issue...

http://ultitraining.com
Anonymous said…
I wouldn't want to do this - but my 7 year old son's eyes lit up when he saw the video and i'm sure he's headed off to start practicing. Don't think it's abuse, just a trigger in some kids...
Neal Jamison said…
I do lots of burpees. I would not push my young son to do this challenge, but if he wanted to, I'd smile a bit and hold the stopwatch for him.

I think 6 minutes of burpees approximates to running/crawling up a mountain, or any other high intensity, full body effort.

Everyone should try this once in their lifetime.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...