Skip to main content

your most recent workout is the most important....and stay low carb

Now this one is interesting.... lots of implications

The abstract is below but some comment first (informed from this and this)


the study found that exercise enhanced insulin sensitivity, particularly when meals eaten after the exercise session contained relatively low carbohydrate content. Enhanced insulin sensitivity means that it is easier for the body to take up sugar from the blood stream into tissues like muscles, where it can be stored or used as fuel. Impaired insulin sensitivity (i.e., "insulin resistance") is a hallmark of Type II diabetes, as well as being a major risk factor for other chronic diseases, such as heart disease.

Interestingly, when the research subjects in this study ate relatively low-calorie meals after exercise, this did not improve insulin sensitivity any more than when they ate enough calories to match what they expended during exercise. This suggests that you don't have to starve yourself after exercise to still reap some of the important health benefits.

Insulin Sensitivity is of course a "good thing" - it means you need less of it for it to have an effect. An excellent primer on insulin matters is here.

What I found interesting were these comments:

This study follows up on several previous studies that demonstrate that many health benefits of exercise are transient: one exercise session produces benefits to the body that taper off, generally within hours or a few days.

"Many of the improvements in metabolic health associated with exercise stem largely from the most recent session of exercise, rather than from an increase in 'fitness' per se," Dr. Horowitz said.

What do we make of this?

  • The importance of consistency - regular training, might not make you "fitter" but each session is important.
  • Every workout is important - we tend to think of junk sessions, but every one matters
  • Exercise and nutrition go together - what you eat limits the effects of how you train.
  • It is still all about hormones
  • what type of workouts have the best effects - endurance, resistance, HIIT?




Energy deficit after exercise augments lipid mobilization but does not contribute to the exercise-induced increase in insulin sensitivity.

The content of meals consumed after exercise can impact metabolic responses for hours and even days after the exercise session. The purpose of this study was to compare the effect of low dietary carbohydrate (CHO) vs. low energy intake in meals after exercise on insulin sensitivity and lipid metabolism the next day. Nine healthy men participated in 4 randomized trials. During the control trial (CON) subjects remained sedentary. During the other 3 trials, subjects exercised (65%VO2peak; cycle ergometer and treadmill exercise) until they expended ~800 kcal. Dietary intake during CON and one exercise trial (BAL) was designed to provide sufficient energy and carbohydrate to maintain nutrient balance. In contrast, the diets after the other 2 exercise trials were low in either CHO (LOW-CHO) or energy (LOW-EN). The morning after exercise we obtained a muscle biopsy, assessed insulin sensitivity (Si; IVGTT) and measured lipid kinetics (isotope tracers). Although subjects were in energy balance during both LOW-CHO and CON, the lower muscle glycogen concentration during LOW-CHO vs. CON (402+/-29 vs. 540+/-33 mmol/kg dw, P<0.01) coincided with a significant increase in Si (5.2+/-0.7 vs. 3.8+/-0.7 (mU/L)(-1)(.)min(-1); P<0.05). Conversely, despite ingesting several hundred fewer kcals after exercise during LOW-EN compared with BAL, this energy deficit did not affect Si the next day (4.9+/-0.9, and 5.0+/-0.8 (mU/L)(-1)(.)min(-1)). Maintaining an energy deficit after exercise had the most potent effect on lipid metabolism, as measured by a higher plasma triacylglycerol concentration, and increased plasma fatty acid mobilization and oxidation compared with when in nutrient balance. Carbohydrate deficit after exercise, but not energy deficit, contributed to the insulin sensitizing effects of acute aerobic exercise. Whereas maintaining an energy deficit after exercise augmented lipid mobilization.

Comments

Marc said…
So what IS best to eat after exercise? (if not going for lipid mobilization)

Marc
Chris said…
I'd say what you eat is fine Marc!
Chris said…
I read that years ago too. I remember printing it out and reading it over and over. It really explains this well.
Anonymous said…
So, on a Low Carb diet, eating your carb's post workout is what is stated here?
Anonymous said…
no. I read it that carbs blunt the insulin sensitising effects of the workout
Anonymous said…
Perhaps the transient insulin sensitivity that occurs after exercise is similar to the "physiologic" (as opposed to "pathologic") insulin resistance that occurs with low carb, as explained by Peter. It's a temporary adjustment with no long term consequences.
Kipper said…
But "low carbohydrate" in the context of this study was 200g in a single meal!
meredith said…
I was listening to some old podcasts of one of those popular diet and fitness guys and he insists that immediately after intense exercise the body is temporarily insulin resistant due to lactic acid build up. He says that the ideal time to eat would be 30 to 60 minutes post exercise, once the lactic acid dissipates. Ever hear of this?
Anonymous said…
I find a subtle but very important difference between exercising to build up fitness of subsequent sessions and exercising because THAT session will provide direct benefits. This is far more motivating to make someone get out there I think.
I'm dealing with some health issues that temporarily limit my exercising, but I'm hoping my low-carb diet will be helpful until I resume exercising.

Interesting post and references. Thanks.

The 50 Best Health Blogs
Chris said…
Dan

actually that - rather than the low carb thing - was what I found most interesting. The idea that each workout is important in and of itself.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...