Skip to main content

low rates of coronary heart disease despite a diet high in saturated fat

Well this shouldn't really be a surprise. The science is saying that there is no link between the intake of saturated fat and the risk of CHD [coronary heart disease], stroke, or CVD [cardiovascular disease].

Here is another study which is supporting that idea. (The study is full of assumptions by the way - the claim is that this is a "potentially atherogenic diet".)

Anyway, the Masai have a low carb, high fat diet but they have very healthy blood pressure and lipid profiles.

These researchers suggest their health is due to their high levels of energy expenditure. Who knows, maybe it is due to their diet!

Is their health in spite of or because of their diet?

Daily energy expenditure and cardiovascular risk in Masai, rural and urban Bantu Tanzanians


Background Several studies have revealed that the Masai, pastoralists in Tanzania, have low rates of coronary heart disease despite a diet high in saturated fat. It has also been suggested that they may be genetically protected. Recent studies detailing other potential protective factors, however, are lacking.

Methods A cross-sectional investigation of 985 Tanzanian men and women (130 Masai, 371 rural Bantu and 484 urban Bantu) with mean age of 46 (9.3) years. Anthropometric measures, blood pressure, serum lipids, and the reported dietary pattern and physical activity level were assessed.

Results 82% of Masai subjects reported a high fat/low carbohydrate intake, whereas 77% of the rural Bantu subjects reported a low fat/high carbohydrate intake, while a high fat/high carbohydrate intake was the main dietary pattern of the urban Bantu group as, reported by 55%. The most conspicuous finding for the Masai was the extremely high energy expenditure, corresponding to 2565 kcal/day over basal requirements, compared with 1500 kcal/day in the rural and 891 kcal/day for the urban Bantu. Mean body mass index among the Masai was lower than the rural and urban Bantu. Mean systolic blood pressure of the Masai was also lower compared with their rural and urban Bantu counterparts. The Masai revealed a favourable lipid profile.

Conclusion The potentially atherogenic diet among the Masai was not reflected in serum lipids and was offset probably by very high energy expenditure levels and low body weight.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So remember kids! It's all about looking thin and running on that treadmill for hours every day!
Chris said…
Precisely. The researchers can't cope with the idea that the Masai with the high fat diet are so healthy. Surely it can' be the diet.....it must be the exercise!
Dave said…
But but how can that be? Physically active AND on a low carb diet?? I've always been told by 'experts' that you need carbs for energy and that it would be foolish for any athlete to not consume large amounts of carbs. Clearly the Masai must have sugary recovery shakes that they are hiding from the researchers!
rappstar said…
Another possibility that is even more likely, IMO, as someone who eats a high fat diet and exercises a lot is that a high fat diet is actually ESSENTIAL for someone who exercises. It's impractical - especially in the absence of things like gatorade, etc. - to eat a high carbohydrate diet to sustain high physical output. That is, their high fat diet and high energy expenditure levels are inseparable. They are able to exercise so much BECAUSE they eat a lot of fat, which in turn probably makes them healthier and better able to process that fat. I doubt very much it's a cause-and-effect. It's much more likely that they are reliant on each other. I would wager that it would negatively impact them if they kept their diet the same and stopped exercising or vice versa.
Chris said…
Rappstar - very good comment!
Anonymous said…
You hear the same silly assumptions with other indigenous people living in their tradiional way such as the Inuit. People think its down to the activity rather than abundant levels of Vits A,D etc from their natural diets. Incidentally the Masai were also studied and compared with Bantu tribes by Weston A Price in the 1930s who found lower (virthually none existent) tooth and gum disease amongst the Masai and other cattle herder tribes compared with settled farming groups.

Chris Anon
Mike T Nelson said…
At high levels of exercise, your body is extremely metabolically flexible---it can burn BOTH fats and carbs quite well, without ill effects.

Of course there is no sub for essential fats which have to come from the diet and there are no essential carbs.

rock on!
Mike T Nelson PhD(c)
Extreme Human Performance
donny said…
I don't know of any other group that eats quite that much fermented milk. I can't find any studies where anybody tried to live mostly on plain yogurt or anything like that, either. Who knows?
Sildenafil said…
I think this is a very good notice because a lot of people think saturated fat is related to coronary heat disease, even with this notice we have to be careful.
invertir en oro said…
invest in gold Know, is the moment to won money
Levitra kaufen said…
Interesting. I guess it is more about the eating behavior of western culture that includes a lot of sugar and other ingredients that is not included in a diet of a Masai.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...