Skip to main content

Squatting is hardcore

These type of videos crack me up. (apologies for some strong language in here)



Anyway the point - from Mark Young - is that heavy squatting can cause problems to the back. It reminded me of the point Matt made a while ago:

I see this differential in my toddler as well. Toddlers squat constantly, but it is all "mobility" work. The squats are done for the purposes of movement, not for the purposes of lifting a weight. If a toddler wants to lift a weight, they shift into a deadlift position.

It's probably been about a year since I've done weighted squats. At this point, I have no desire to go back to them. I am content training the deadlift as the main lift. I know squats have been utilized in weight programs for decades, but that doesn't mean that they are necessarily 100% healthy.

Mike Boyle raised some controversial points about squats last year:

Comments

Chad said…
I have to say, my 19month old has the best deadlift form (and separate squat form) I have ever seen...and I didn't teach him a THING!
Can't wait to watch him run, sans shoes of course...
Clint said…
If you actually take a close look at Mike Boyle's material, you'll note he still uses front squats with beginning lifters, still uses bodyweight squats as part of his warmups and still uses trap-bar deadlifts in strength programs. I.e. he still teaches squats.

That said, I'm inclined to agree that squats are more importat for mobility and that deadlifts are better as a strength exercise.
Unknown said…
What about the leg press? Is the leg press as problematic as the squat (spinewise)?
Marc said…
Squatts are a no no for me...I jump a lot of rope...that might be a no no for others. Body type and objectives weigh the heaviest on these issues in my opinion.

I liked the video ;-)

Marc
L. Wu said…
I'm leaning towards agreeing with Gray Cook and Dan John (see his latest book) on this one, maintain the squat / do light goblet squats (KB/DB), train the deadlift.
Chris said…
interesting - I've just ordered Dan John's book and one of his kb DVDs. Squats have always been an issue for me. I actually pulled something in my back a couple of weeks ago doing light goblet squats......
Viagra Online said…
I don't mind about the strong language in the video, what matters most is the message that is going to convey so the readers get it better.
generic viagra said…
Very interesting... I pleased to find this site... Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Alexa

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...