Skip to main content

It is multifactoral....

The other day Skyler mentioned a book he was reading. He said:

Lessons from “The Blue Zones.” I think there’s some good information here, especially for those who wish to impart a black and white view into diet and exercise.

I was intrigued. I looked around and found the relevant website, and also ordered the book from Amazon.

The book tries to pull out some lessons about living a long healthy life by looking at the factors which some really lon lived communities around the world have in common:

Here at BlueZones.com, we've organized these behaviors into four main categories:

Move Naturally – Make your home, community and workplace present you with natural ways to move. Focus on activities you love, like gardening, walking and playing with your family.

Right Outlook – Know and be able to articulate your sense of purpose, and ensure your day is punctuated with periods of calm.

Eat Wisely – Instead of groping from fad diet to fad diets, use time-honored strategies for eating 20% less at meals. Avoid meat and processed food and drink a couple of glasses of wine daily.

Belong to the Right Tribe – Surround yourself with the right people, make the effort to connect or reconnect with your religion and put loved ones first.
It is worth digging around the site, there are some fascinating ideas in there.

It is an interesting book. What it brought home to me is the importance of thinking multifactorally.

We often tend to think in terms of a single factor - diet, exercise, stress, sunshine vitamin D or whatever. It is however simplistic to think about a single factor. We don't live like that - we are not in carefully controlled experiments with one variable at a time changing - there are lots of things at play. We need to think more broadly. It is not X or Y....usually it is X & Y & Z & A & B etc.....

The idea of there being lots of factors to bring into the mix came up in my interview with Keith and was raised in a recent comment by jleeger on this blog:

I'm always curious as to the value-judgments (and reasons behind them) that we place on things.

"Paleo" or "EV" is no different.

Were humans "freer" in a "paleo" tribe? Is one technology "better" than another? Does "paleo" as a practice extend the lifespan beyond basic, "simple-living?"

I'm still unconvinced that all or any of these "methods" we find today - from Xfit to Z-Phase to Paleo/EV to HIIT - are in any way "single" answers unto themselves.

They reveal the results a person can expect on their own basis, but also, necessarily limit development in other areas.

For instance, none of those hobbies asks its participants to become a better singer, or to learn to sew/knit, or carve wood.

Similarly, none of them teaches people how to be better at business, or how to make a living.

Taken for what they are, they all have value. But in the end, all of these "methods" are just different lenses through which to view a larger reality.

Restricting yourself to any one of them is madness.

Keep thinking......

Comments

Skyler said…
I'll be the first to say that: I've taken voice lessons for 18 months. I've become a better singer.

Check that box on hobbies list. ;)

Best,
Skyler
Skyler said…
In all seriousness (put this into one post if you must) I agree wholeheartedly with the comment. It's beyond simple to look into any hobby/health endeavor/activity and look for "the answer." I know I did it with my strength training early on, eventually went out and experimented, and later came back to something similar to how I started.

This dovetails into Martin's recent list at Leangains about 10 things he's gained as wisdom about training.One of them is temperament. Understanding your temperament will go a long way toward making ideas about training and health fit what you can handle.

Theory to practice doesn't mean one answer and that's terribly important.

best,
Skyler
pieter d said…
Chris,

just letting you know the author of the 'blue zones' has an interesting TED-talk on the blue zones:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/dan_buettner_how_to_live_to_be_100.html

cheers
Anonymous said…
Love it!
I am really tired of blogs that contain good info, whose followers become dogmatic & defensive of their position as the "correct" one & regard everyone else as a fool....
If someone comments "but i have done the opposite for x years and i am really healthy" the reply is always: "yes, but if you followed OUR rules, you would be so much healthier, happier, bla bla bla"
or: my grandparents ate this or that & lived to 100 years: reply": Yes, but the affects of your grandparent's bad way of living are epigenetic, and you will eventually suffer from what your grandparents & parents did". how can you answer such foolishness? you just can't. unless you wait 40 years & then thumb your nose at them.

anyhow, i like your measured approach. i am thinking you must me a middle child like me, not one of those dogmatic oldest or youngest kids ;-)
Unknown said…
Great post! I have read the Blue Zones and it's a wonderful read. It really puts into perspective the ease and simplicity with how these people live their lives. Strong family ties, daily movement, real, whole, natural food and a positive outlook on all that they do goes a long way. Sometimes it seems with all of these "communities" whether online or offline in our society, we're constantly and desperately seeking the answer to the perfect program, health, fitness, diet, etc., etc., when such people from that of the Blue Zones had figured it out eons ago. We can certainly stand to learn something from them.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...