Skip to main content

interval training - boosts anaerobic and aerobic performancea

Nothing earth-shattering here - another study that indicates that sprint training has broad benefits:

10 or 30-s sprint interval training bouts enhance both aerobic and anaerobic performance


These data indicate that 10-s (with either 2 or 4 min recovery) and 30-s SIT bouts are effective for increasing anaerobic and aerobic performance
.

Comments

praguestepchild said…
"VO2max increased in the 30:4 (9.3%) and 10:4 (9.2%), but not the 10:2 group. Wingate peak power kg−1 increased (P < 0.05) in the 30:4 (9.5%), 10:4 (8.5%), and 10:2 (4.2%). Average Wingate power kg−1 increased (P < 0.05) in the 30:4 (12.1%) and 10:4 (6.5%) groups."

Interesting that the 4 minute rest intervalers showed more improvement than the 2 minuters. This is the opposite of what I'd have predicted. Would've been interesting if they'd added in a Tabata group. I imagine they were afraid of being arrested for torture ;) I will stick with my Tabata-ish protocol for now.
Anonymous said…
Were these untrained/mildly trained individuals or moderate to highly trained (in terms of aerobic training levels)? Makes all the difference in the world, obviously, as the former will get fitter and faster no matter what they do, and they'll get fitter more quickly doing sprints - then they'll plateau. The latter athletes will not get much benefit from 10 sec sprints if they're endurance athletes. Why do they keep doing these ridiculous studies over and over again?
Chris D said…
Probably moderately trained individuals. Baseline V02max was above 45 in all the groups looking at figure 2.

"Forty-eight young adults (26 kinesiology students, 19 ultimate Frisbee players, and 3 other physically active individuals; 35 men and 13 women) volunteered to participate (24 ± 3.2 years, 173 ± 9.3 cm, 74 ± 13.7 kg, 17 ± 8.1% body fat, 47 ± 6.7 ml kg−1 min−1)."

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...