Skip to main content

Fasting and cholesterol.....

Now I don't think cholesterol is evil...in fact I am a fan....but spotted this the other day.

I have not had much up here about intermittent fasting / IF for a while. (For those interested I like both Brad Pilon and Martin Berkhan's approaches). Anyway, this report indicates that fasting prompts an enzyme that turns off the body's generation of fats and cholesterol.

As I said I don't think dietary cholesterol is a problem, and I'd disagree with some of the stuff in the article about a high fat diet, but this is an interesting finding for those who practice intermittent fasting.

When Food Intake Stops, Enzyme Turns Off Production of Fats, Cholesterol

"This study is significant because it explains the signals that tell the body to burn fat in response to fasting or dieting," says David Sinclair, PhD, a professor of Pathology at Harvard Medical School (HMS) who helped discover the genes that code for sirtuins but was not involved with this MGH-led study. "This improved understanding could help treat and prevent metabolic diseases such as atherosclerosis and type 2 diabetes."

Comments

Unknown said…
i follow your blog daily, and i am also a proponent of martin berkhan's approach to IF. great find of an article today!

cheers :)
Anonymous said…
This is interesting, thanks

Also a find of Martin btw...tons of good content on his blog
It is important to note that dietary cholesterol may or may not contribute to heart disease depending on how the individual’s liver is able to regulate the plasma cholesterol level and the production of LDL. Certainly we know the body needs fats, but they must be the right kind. Good fats supply essential fatty acids, which are a very important link in our health chain. All cell membranes are composed of fats. Fats supply energy, act as an intestinal lubricant and carry the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K in the body. Unfortunately many of us in the West consume much too much of the wrong fats - that is, saturated, hydrogenated, and heated fats – which are linked to obesity, cardiovascular disease, and certain types of cancer.
Chris said…
Stephen
I'd agree about hydrogenated fat....but saturated fat is healthy. When you look at the studies there is no link between saturated fat and the diseases with which it is so often linked in the media. For example:

http://conditioningresearch.blogspot.com/2010/02/fat-is-not-bad.html

A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD

http://conditioningresearch.blogspot.com/2010/01/ban-butter-now-things-are-getting.html
Aaron Curl said…
I agree with the above commenter.....sat. fat is not only healthy but should be a mainstay in everyones diet. Eat bacon and eggs cooked in real butter everyday!
Mike said…
This may be a dumb question, and I apologize if it is, but if fasting reduces production of cholesterol, then might it not be a good idea to require patients to fast before getting a lipids test?

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...