Skip to main content

Barefoot is best for kids


Interesting article here in the Guardian: Some experts now believe that all shoes are best avoided in childhood

From a functional perspective, shoes shouldn't be necessary," says O'Neill. "In fact, there are more likely to be disadvantages and problems from wearing shoes than not wearing them - among them, deformation caused by a poor fit, ingrown toenails, and athlete's foot. But you have to consider the environment the child is in. Let's be honest. Do you want your child walking on the streets or in the park barefoot, where there might be dog poo, dirt and possible hazards like glass?"

Comments

The article makes complete sense but like mentioned, it's just not realistic in most countries to walk around bare foot outside no matter what benefits exist.

But inside the home is a different story. Kids (especially toddlers) should expose their feet as much as possible instead of being locked into wearing their shoes at all times.

This is a habit that would be easy to introduce to children. So shoes off in the home will help their feet healthy and lessen damage. And shoes on when outside to keep them safe from the urban jungle.
Falufalump said…
What about wearing sandals? Really simple ones, for example, that are flat, made of a foam or rubber. Granted, we are still losing proprioception, but at least we aren't constricting the foot.

Additionally, it's easy to kick off when a barefoot opportunity arrives.

I see the problem with not being locked into your footwear, however. This would be a place for more strapped down sandal alternatives.
Matt Joseph said…
I've heard that people had much healthier feet before shoes were invented. It makes sense since your feet will adapt to their environment and get stronger, rather than being trapped all day and unable to breathe. Good find here.
Chad said…
As I watch my now 2 yr old learn how to walk, it was more than interesting to see him walk barefoot first, and walked fairly well. Then with shoes, hard soles, he fell constantly. We then got him these sfot, pliable "foot coverings" that were kind of a shoe. He walked great in those.

I had already been convinced that minimal footwear is the way to go, but this was more fuel for my argument!
Chris said…
Chad - that is a really interesting observation
Natural Athlete said…
I think people overestimate the dangers of going Barefoot. I grew up in the hippie community and was barefoot basically all summer every year and as small child was known for kicking of my shoes in winter and walking around in the snow leaving melted foot prints. I never had any problems for it. There are times when we need shoes but there far less often then people think.
Anonymous said…
There are all types of soft baby/toddler shoes available. Target even sells them. Just search "soft soled toddler shoe" Brands like Pediped, Robeez, Ministar, Soft Star shoes....will all show up.

I had the same observation as the upthread poster in regards to watching toddlers walk at parks. It looks very difficult when they are wearing 'sneakers'.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...