Skip to main content

Heat grows muscles!?

This is weird! Comments please?

Responses of muscle mass, strength and gene transcripts to long-term heat stress in healthy human subjects

The present study was performed to investigate the effects of long-term heat stress on mass, strength and gene expression profile of human skeletal muscles without exercise training. Eight healthy men were subjected to 10-week application of heat stress, which was performed for the quadriceps muscles for 8 h/day and 4 days/week by using a heat- and steam-generating sheet. Maximum isometric force during knee extension of the heated leg significantly increased after heat stress (~5.8%, P < 0.05). Mean cross-sectional areas (CSAs) of vastus lateralis (VL, ~2.7%) and rectus femoris (~6.1%) muscles, as well as fiber CSA (8.3%) in VL, in the heated leg were also significantly increased (P < 0.05). Statistical analysis of microarrays (SAM) revealed that 10 weeks of heat stress increased the transcript level of 925 genes and decreased that of 1,300 genes, and gene function clustering analysis (Database for Annotation, Visualization and Integrated Discovery: DAVID) showed that these regulated transcripts stemmed from diverse functional categories. Transcript level of ubiquinol-cytochrome c reductase binding protein (UQCRB) was significantly increased by 10 weeks of heat stress (~3.0 folds). UQCRB is classified as one of the oxidative phosphorylation-associated genes, suggesting that heat stress can stimulate ATP synthesis.

These results suggested that long-term application of heat stress could be effective in increasing the muscle strength associated with hypertrophy without exercise training.

Comments

Steven Low said…
Doesn't really surprise me.

One of the big factors for release of growth hormone from the pituitary (IIRC) is heat from exercise. The more intense the exercise, the higher the body's internal temperature and the more GH released.

While that doesn't specifically deal with muscles in this case, a lot of the same processes which are stimulated for release of heat shock proteins are released much in the same manner as exercise does it (to a certain extent). The body is perceiving a threat/damage to the muscles; it compensates with higher amounts of internal anabolic processes.

The fact however that there is both a significant increase of hypertrophy and strength is pretty interesting though.
Andreas said…
The growth hormone responds to exercise isn't the cause of growth. I have seen a published study examine the effect of post training limb cooling. This annihilated the normal training responds completely. One could speculate that the heat increase seen with intense exercise is a part of the growth signal.
Andreas
Steven Low said…
I know the growth hormone response to exercise isn't the cause of growth of the muscles themselves. Growth hormone isn't really the cause of muscular hypertrophy rather regenerative effects in most other tissues. (Although the study you seem to mention in question I have looked at the full text, and I am not too convincecd based on that study alone).

It seems pretty clear why limb cooling would destroy exercise response though -- significant decreased blood flow. Our tissues aren't as adaptive to cooling as they are to heating though so that may be a reason.

Very interesting that heating would have such a large effect though.
MAS said…
Why are all the World's Strongest Men competitors from Nordic (cold) areas and none are from near the equator?
Andreas said…
MAS
South Africa, Australia and new Zealand are some not so cold countries who had decent strongman competitors. Denmark and Germany and The Netherlands are not that cold either! Think that climate is of lesser importance when it comes to strongman success. Access to AAS is of much more importance!
Andreas

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...