Skip to main content

Hillwalking in Andalucia

Apologies that this is off topic....but indulge me on this one.  Normal service will be resumed.

Sorry that this blog has been quiet for a week - I've been on holiday, getting some sun, exercise and relaxation.  We went to Southern Spain, hillwalking in the mountains of Andalucia, mainly in the Sierras de Trajeda.  What a superb area.

We had a great week of walking in some stunning scenery - often up over 1200 meters round some amazing limestone peaks.  

It was an organised trip  with Pure High Walking Holidays - a really good company.  The accommodation was fantastic in a beautiful little village. Each walk was  challenging enough to make you feel you had achieved something at the end of the day while we had confidence from being with a guide who knew the area well and who was a qualified Mountain Leader.  I'd thoroughly recommend Pure High if you are looking for a walking holiday in Europe.

I'll write the trip up in detail on my other (hillwalking) blog  over the next week or so, but here are a couple of photos to make you jealous!


Comments

Aaron Blaisdell said…
Photos look splendid! I visited Sevilla a few years ago and loved it. In two years I'm going to a conference in Jaen and plan to schedule some extra time for vacation with the family. I'm going to seriously consider a trip to the mountains.
Asclepius said…
Looks superb! Did you walk in VFFs?
Chris said…
No - inov8 Roclites for me. The thorns and general terrain would have made minimal shoes a bit of a challenge.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...