Skip to main content

Another sleep less get fatter study


Reading Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution has got me thinking more about lifestyle, in particular 2 areas: sleep and stress.   Stress messes with you hormonally.

He has prompted me to do a couple of things:

  • Totally black out my bedroom so I really sleep in total dark
  • Aim for at least 8 hours sleep
  • Ease back in general and take it easier.
In some of his podcasts he really emphasises (stresses?) the danger of overtraining and fasting too.  Both can bump up your cortisol levels with a range  dodgy effects.

Anyway, I spotted this abstract today:


Sleep duration and body-weight development during puberty in a Dutch children cohort

Conclusion: Changes in BMI during puberty were inversely related to changes in sleep duration, independent of possible confounders.

Comments

Chad said…
The book "Lights Out" is also, though controversial, touching on the subject of total black out of your sleep-room, among other things such as sleep and carbs...check it out sometime, if you haven't already!
Chris said…
Lights Out is a great book.
Cliff said…
I have a massive window in my bedroom, so we got one of those super-serious hotel style curtain liners. It keeps it quieter, darker, and more energy efficient. Very worth it.
Since getting a tempur-pedic bed and going blacked out at night- I notice better sleep.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...