Skip to main content

Great Fat Debate

Does anyone have access to the Journal of the American Dietetic Association?  Looks like they have an interesting feature  on Fat this month:

The Great Fat Debate: A Closer Look at the Controversy—Questioning the Validity of Age-Old Dietary Guidance

Comments

Ben said…
THIS SITE DOES NOT SUPPORT INSTITUTIONAL ACCESS.

:/
Anonymous said…
No, but I'm prepared to smack my forehead at their definition of "age-old." Unless its intentionally ironic.
Anonymous said…
I do and can email the article to you, but need to know where
Unknown said…
You can download the 3 PDFs here:

Great Fat Debate PDFs
Unknown said…
No access, but I searched for the author’s contributions elsewhere. Among them: http://www.uhc.com/source4women/health_wellness_tools_resources/nutrition/confusion_on_fats.htm

She recommends the same old same old of the past fifty years—avoid saturated and trans fats, vegetable oils are ok.

Note that she is associated with United Health Care. Draw your own conclusion.
Unknown said…
Well I just skimmed the pdf’s from Susan and was surprised to see that the old dogma may be finally be crumbling. I will read these files more carefully when I have a change.
Unknown said…
Well, let’s just say it’s a start. The devil is in the details of all those studies in the footnotes. The conclusion is contradictory, wherein saturated fat maybe isn’t so bad, but still let’s eat healthy whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and less red meat, mixed PUFAs and MUFAs are good for you. It’s like changing the direction of a glacier.
Chris said…
Thanks for the comments - especially Susan

I'll comment with something Steven emailed me off line:

To be honest the main thing they're saying overall (in the end if you read the Q&A) is that

Sat fats have same risk as refined carbos but polyunsats (regardless of source) are better. Thus dont go low fat because total fat doesnt
matter... but fat content does

1. They still promote polyunsats (vegetable oils) over sats and refined carbs
2. they still promote whole grains/grains
3. Generally plant based
4. Don't believe in the O3:O6 issues

I think the Q&A is the most illuminating on where they stand on issues despite what the previous articles say.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...