I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January". I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol. A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic. As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure. There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly. I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful. But over time, one glass became two. Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle. A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...
.......interesting things about fitness, strength, diet and performance.
Comments
Nice infographic!
I disagree with the infographic that a 135 degree sitting posture is better. That position puts your neck posture way out of line.
Stephan - I think you are right on both counts: there is no causal relationship here it is more that sitting is associated with lots of other things that may impact mortality; and that 135 degree seat looks poor.
I suppose I just posted this when I found it because it looked quite dramatic and fits in with my contention that we are designed to move.
Right attribute:
here
Would never want to disrespect this space or fellow readers with an inappropriate cold pitch. But this post stuck out to me instantly.
This is exactly what our company is trying to combat with our product the GymyGym.
Stephen- I do agree with you that the 135' angle is off. There is evidence which points to a 45 degree recline plus your knees being elevated above your hip line being helpful for taking stress off the lower back. It is how NASA designs their seats on shuttles.
I think the info graphic tends to go a little on the intense side with getting the message across, but that may have been the whole point, to make it dramatic enough for people to take note. Many of the illnesses which come from sitting are derived more from the fact that your body is not moving, which is the overarching problem. People who are also bed-ridden for illnesses or even astronauts who come back from zero-G both have issues derived from this non movement.
The goal is more so not to just not sit, but the be mobile and active.
135º sitting posture is a good ration as you put your column in th normal position but it has to be reached by elevating your seat like in a sit/stand stool.