Skip to main content

Maffetone on weight training

I've been a fan of Phil Maffetone for a while.  His philosophy of aerobic training is really useful and makes a lot of sense - moving around at a really easy pace so that you are buring fat not carbs.  I'd like to spice it up with some occaisional sprints, but for most people I think his overall philosophy of health as opposed to fitness is really important.

I also think he has been ahead of his time in his approach to things like stretching, shoes and diet. 

Anyway he has posted a couple of pieces recently on weight training:

Part 1
Part 2

you can go and read them yourself, but a few thoughts I had:

  • interesting how the paleo principle means different things to different folks
  • his idea of real function movement - pick things up and carry them has echos of some Dan John (The old Get Up idea:  Our mission? To teach everyone: 1. The Body is One Piece 2. There are three kinds of strength training: Putting weight overhead, Picking it off the ground & Carrying it for time or distance 3. All training is complementary)
  • the basic routine - squats and deadlifts done for low reps with no fatigue reminds me of Pavel's basic Power to the People routine or even Barry Ross, deadlift approach)
Anyway, they are interesting ideas, worth a read.

Comments

John D Wilson said…
Great post. Like you I've long been a Maffetone fan having devoured "In Fitness and In Health" maybe 20 year's ago.

I really like his approach. When I was a teenager (I'm now 71) I started weight lifting (actually bodybuilding) at Bruce Conner's gym in West Los Angeles - a lot of famous people worked out there.

I got the show muscles of a bodybuilder.

At the same time I had a small machine shop behind my parent's house. Work was easy to obtain from the active aircraft industry in 1950's Los Angeles. One of the by-products was scrap metal. I would periodically fill a small oil drum (about 30 inches high) with metal shavings from my work.

When it was full I'd call a japanese guy in the business to come pick it up free of charge.

I don't know how much the drum weighed but with all my show muscles it was a real feat to get that thing to the curb for the pickup. I had to get it down a few steps, then roll it on the rim to the curb.

When the japanese guy came (he was very short and lean, maybe 140 lbs.) he would simply tilt the drum and grab the lower rim, then rock it a few times and swing it into the back of his truck (about waist high).

Here was a Maffetone trained man.
Chad said…
Nice story above! Thanks! I have one of a gentleman in his 80's who worked at a golf course doing a hang clean and press to put baskets of golf balls over his head!

Health is not equal to fitness, or vice-versa. I've always employed the idea of fitness as being up to the individual client. "Fit" for what they want to do...run, hike, HIT or HIIT, or simply pick up their grankids.

Interesting how Maffetone's ideas/concepts are not the crossfit method, yet both can be beneficial for the same person at different times of their life.
Stephen said…
Really interesting stuff. I have one acid test for whether I am happy with my fitness - can I still pick my kids up, hoist them on my shoulders and comfortably carry them a good distance without a) it being difficult at the time b) it causing me hip/back issues the next day. I've never seen this conceptualised as nicely as above. I find it an incredibly reliable barometer. I'm relatively good at maintaining my strength (purely by bodyweight means) but life regularly intervenes and I slip, and the difference in that simple test becomes apparent very, very quickly - and thus acts as a great wake up call to correct that slippage.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...