Skip to main content

Sugar, cancer and mitochondria

I've had stuff up here over the years (e.g. here and here)about how cancer cells seem to survive by burning sugar and not fat and so some doctors have tried to starve cancers by using a ketogenic diet, with some success.

Anyway, here is a video outlining new research into this same topic:



The research is reported here and the full article is available here

Cancer cells tend to take up more glucose than healthy cells, and researchers are increasingly interested in exploiting this tendency with drugs that target cancer cells' altered metabolism.

Cancer cells' sugar cravings arise partly because they turn off their mitochondria, power sources that burn glucose efficiently, in favor of a more inefficient mode of using glucose. They benefit because the byproducts can be used as building blocks for fast-growing cells.

Drugs or diet, if this knowledge can help find a solution to cancer then that is good.

Comments

FeelGoodEating said…
Chris,
About 4 years ago or so, I stumbled upon an article in Rolling Stone Magazine about Owsley Stanley. I had never heard the name before. He was famous for being the greatest "LSD" maker during the height of the hippy era in San Francisco. A very smart man from a prominent family and basically a self taught mad scientist.

From wikipedia "Stanley believed that the natural human diet is a totally carnivorous one, thus making it a no-carbohydrate diet, and that all vegetables are toxic.[17] He claimed to have eaten almost nothing but meat, eggs, butter and cheese since 1959 and that he believed his body had not aged as much as the bodies of those who eat a more "normal" diet. He was convinced that insulin, released by the pancreas when carbohydrates are ingested, is the cause of much damage to human tissue and that diabetes mellitus is caused by the ingestion of carbohydrates.
Stanley received radiation therapy in 2004 for throat cancer, which he first attributed to passive exposure to cigarette smoke at concerts,[18] but which he later discovered was almost certainly caused by the infection of his tonsil with HPV. He credited his low carb diet with starving the tumor of glucose, slowing its growth and preventing its spread enough that it could be successfully treated despite its advanced state at diagnosis"

the article was full of history of the times but had many more details about his thoughts on sugar. Here's another article from Rolling Stone when he died in a car crash, and there's a link to the original article in the archives.
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/owsley-stanley-the-king-of-lsd-20110314

From everything i've read, cancer is a somewhat natural state of affairs, however our bodies have a tough time dealing with it due to our excessive intake of sugars.

Mt guess is that "science" will figure out a pill to eliminate the uptake of sugar to help us fight cancer.....ofcourse this pill will come with multiple and dangerous side effects.

Chris,
Wishing you and your loved ones ad Merry Xmas and all the best wishes for a healthy, peaceful and very successful 2012.

Warm regards,
Marc
Anything that can help look at the causes of cancer will help but it's like minor illnesses like the cold and majors like ME in that there are no known causes and therefore no known cures.

One day. One day maybe...
I think we should remember that whilst there is probably something in the 'starve the cancer of glucose' proposal, it probably isn't to do with keeping insulin super low. Why?

Because, as Lyle MacDonald is keen to remind us, protein also releases insulin! Almost as much as it gets released by carbs. This should remind us that 'slin is not a bad thing, as it's just a generalised storage hormone, but the persistently high levels of glucose causing persistently high levels of insulin are the problem. Take away the high levels of processed carbs and you take away a large part of the problem...

My 2p worth,
Cheers
George

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...