He has a good post today: Keep it Simple Stupid: identifying the 4 key factors with the biggest impacts on our training and health.
He has some good advice, well expressed, especially on nutrition:
Nutrition I would rank second. We eat nearly 3 times a day for 7 days a week. Therefore, the affect of nutrition on our bodies for improvements in both health and training cannot be understated. You may have heard that “abs are made in the kitchen” and that it is 75-80% nutrition for fat loss. This is true – for the ratio of times we eat per the times we train per week is about 21:5 or about 80%.
Really though, keep it simple. There’s lots of good sayings that are generally true:
- Eat real food
- Avoid refined carbohydrates
- Avoid things that come in a package
- If your grandmother wouldn’t recognize it don’t eat it
- If it doesn’t grow from a tree or in the ground, or swim, or walk don’t eat it.
- While “eating clean” and the above categories are actually fairly arbitrary, the “goal” of it all is simple.
Don’t obsess about macronutrients. Don’t even obsess about food. Eat a wide variety of plants and animals.
Enjoy your food. Don’t let it take over your life.