Image from Scott Sonnon
I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January". I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol. A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic. As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure. There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly. I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful. But over time, one glass became two. Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle. A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

Comments
:)
1. You can't see the hold she's got her hand on; if it's good, you could do a hand-foot match and easily reach the next hold. I suspect it's not good, which is why she's in that position
2. You could put your left foot on the hold she's got her right foot on, flagging the right for balance, and dyno. Again, this would only work if the hold is good. Although that would require a different sort of goodness than '1', I suspect that she would have just done that if it was possible.
3. Keep the right hand in the position that it's in and pull/press up. If I were trying that, I'd try to get my left foot on the hold that's slightly below her left. But, she's certainly a better climber than me, so I'm sure she has a good reason for not doing that. She's using opposition (pushing in opposite directions the left foot and right arm), which works better when both are at the same height. That foothold looks so tempting, though.