Skip to main content

keep squatting....and eating coconut oil

I spent the weekend visiting my parents.  My Dad has dementia and is currently in a hospital ward.  His mental state oscillates, but when he is well he is still funny, loving, caring and sharp.  It is just the dislocation from reality that is difficult to witness.

Anyway, I was struck again by how basic and essential it is to be able to stand up from a chair.  There is balance involved, but so much more is the need for basic strength in the hip extensors, back and thighs.  Occupational therapy is fine, but it would be fantastic if we could get them on a leg press a couple of times a week.

I have got my Mum to start giving him coconut oil each day now, especially after listening to this podcast.  Podcast #13: How To Upgrade Your Brain with Coconut Oil & Ketones

Comments

Nigel Kinbrum said…
Chuck in some BCAAs for extra ketones (& muscles).

Chuck in some fish oil. Mum's only been on 10ml of Seven Seas High Strength oil for 4 days but yesterday, she was in fine form and she amazed the nurse on duty with the things she was saying.

Of course, it may have just been one of her "good" days, but she was better than I've seen her in a long time.
Brian said…
Chris and Nigel,

I hope your parents experience improvement.
Anonymous said…
Check out some other stories regarding dementia/Azlheimer's and coconut oil here: http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/coconut-oil-reverses-the-effects-of-alzheimers-in-50-year-old-woman/

http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/man-in-his-80s-with-severe-dementia-returning-to-old-self-after-starting-coconut-oil/
Chris said…
Nigel

I'll try that if I can - but it took me a while to get mum to try him on coconut oil
js290 said…
http://www.carbohydratescankill.com/3588/86-dr-mary-newport-on-alzheimers-disease
I was struck again by how basic and essential it is to be able to stand up from a chair. There is balance involved, but so much more is the need for basic strength in the hip extensors, back and thighs
hayduke said…
Sorry about your Dad, my Mom in the same boat. We moved her to a nursing facility almost 6 months ago and she seems to be enjoying it so far. All of the nurses and aids and other patients to talk to has really improved her spirits.
Earlier in her illness, I made a point of giving her coconut oil and d3 drops twice a day, and it really seemed to help for a while, especially with the fear and confusion. As she's advanced though, it has been more difficult to perceive a benefit. Mom's been really funny lately, and it's a joy to visit her.
Unknown said…
Sorry to hear about your Dad. People with signs of dementia should be checked for Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (NPH), which presents as dementia along with some other symptoms such as a shuffling walk and urinary incontinence. It can be treated. In the past, it used to be that many people with dementia were not getting the correct diagnosis, but it seems that most doctors now are checking for it. Anyway, it's not a well-known condition and just wanted to let people know about it. Best wishes.
Zach man said…
Remain positive Chris! Natural remedies can be remarkable. I agree though, keep squatting and exercising those legs. I am sure you are aware of the tremendous benefits of a solid leg routine!! Take care!!
Gin said…
I hope your dad would have been improve.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...