Skip to main content

The nature of fatigue

I've been doing some reading for an article that I am writing on the nature of fatigue and the Brain's role in exhaustion.

Once the article has been published I'll post some of it here, but for now I just wanted to point to the work of Samuele Marcora

There is a good interview with him here - Perception is everything

and his key studies are 


·      The limit to - Marcora SM, Staiano W. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010 Jul;109(4):763-70. Epub 2010 Mar 11.
·      Mental fatigueMarcora SM, Staiano W, Manning V. J Appl Physiol. 2009 Mar;106(3):857-64. Epub 2009 Jan 8.
·      The face of fatigue de Morree HM, Marcora SM. Biol Psychol. 2010 Dec;85(3):377-82. Epub 2010 Sep 9.

In his model, fatigue is a psychological issue, not a physical one.  When the perception of effort excedes the reward from that effort we give up.  The key is in modifying our perceptions.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Central command is probably the largest limiting step in fatigue; but overcoming the hurdle of central command only brings the next hurdles closer: cardiovascular and muscular biochemical fatigue.
Random said…
A great example of strength of will versus science and genetics can be found in the 1997 sci-fi film Gattaca. In the movie, Vincent (Ethan Hawke’s character) beats his genetically enhanced brother in a game where they swim out into the ocean seeing who can go the farthest before turning back. Since Vincent has the flawed DNA of those born before genetic engineering, his brother Anton finds it inconceivable that he could be beaten, as Vincent never came close to victory in the past. He demands to know how Vincent bested him.

“You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back.” –Vincent


From this: http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/mountain-dog-pukefest/

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...