Skip to main content

UK: The Public Bodies, (Sustainable Food) Bill

From The Weston A Price Foundation London Chapter:


ACTION ALERT - Government moves to enforce their dietary guidelines upon schools, prisons, hospitals and all other public bodies. Please lobby your local MP and interest groups. Details below.

The Public Bodies, (Sustainable Food) Bill has just passed its second reading in the Houses of Commons.

This bill will force all public bodies, i.e. schools, prisons and hospitals to comply with the government's low fat, low salt, nutrient deficient dietary guidelines. This will bring Britain in-line with USA, where Federal Funding is dependent on compliance with the USDA's dietary guidelines which have caused so much harm. That drive is coinciding with corporations having their food certified as being one of your five a day. So we see baked beans and pizza being certified in order that they gain catering contracts if this legislation is passed.

PLEASE CIRCULATE MY RESPONSE TO THE BILL TO YOUR LOCAL MP AND INTEREST GROUPS: http://files.meetup.com/1463924/Sustainable%20Food%20Bill%20Response.doc

If this bill is passed, parents will only be able to provide nutrient dense foods if they provide a packed lunch and will be banned from lobbying their school to introduce nutrient dense foods. We have even seen in some American States, schools telling parents what to put in school lunches and Chicago has banned packed lunches to stop Parent's circumventing the dietary guidelines.

This bill is one step towards a tax on fat, saturated fat and sugar, which Prime Minister David Cameron has voiced support for this in the recent "Conservative" Party Conference. We are even against a tax on sugar because it will encourage artificial sweeteners.

Philip Ridley
01442 384451
westonaprice.london@gmail.com

westonaprice.org/london

Click Here to join our mailing list

Comments

Nigel Kinbrum said…
"This will bring Britain in-line with USA..."
There's the fundamental problem.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...