Skip to main content

Wittgenstein - a note to self

This is a reminder to myself of something I was thinking about around how to present my ideas on training.

I have always been impressed by Wittgenstein's Tractatus. 7 propositions stating the whole of his philosophy. Each except the last elucidated by some others.

Could I do that about fitness training?

Can it all be kept simple? A series of simple propositions?

So much of the fitness blogosphere thrives on complexity, jargon. Can we just make it clear and simple?

Zen?

Maybe not 7 propositions but certainly just a few key ideas.

What will be in the mix?

  • The goal is max fibre recruitment; the exercises, the protocol is secondary to this.
  • There is no such thing as cardio.
  • Much of what we call fitness is skill.
  • Safety is fundamental.
  • Posture has a role. Poor posture can mean less efficient movement and more wear and tear.
  • Sleep...just sleep
  • Eat appropriate quantity, optimum quality and suitable composition.
  • Stress needs managed.


Do you see where I am going with this?

Update - by the way, this is in no way an exhaustive list, just somethings that were going through my mind last night.  Also I had a reread of Hillfit and think that I actually articulated some of this pretty well in there, it is just that I wrote that about 8 months ago and have forgotten a lot of what I presented.

Comments

Bryce said…
I do!

a few of mine ...

-maintenance is a myth, in business, in relationships, and in fitness ... You're growing or dying.

-have a relationship with your food: cook it yourself, know where it comes from specifically, grow/raise it yourself if possible. trying to sell people on Paleo is a waste of effort if you can just sell them on this idea, which will address most problems, aside from deficiencies.
Three Pipe Problem said…
Have you read "Awareness Through Movement" by Feldenkrais? I remember thinking when I read it that it reminded me of Wittgenstein.
FeelGoodEating said…
Chris,

Know where you're going and KEEP going. Had to link to you because it's so RIGHT.

Per three pipe, if you've NOT read Awareness through Movement, it's a must read.

Cheers,
Marc
Anonymous said…
Do not drink any one person's Kool-aid. Try some of everyone's, then make your own.
CF said…
You are on the right path here. Please keep exploring this idea.
Unknown said…
"there is no such thing as cardio"

I would be forever grateful if the "cardio" thing died off. I have never done cardio in my life; however, I have done a great deal of running, biking etc.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...