Skip to main content

Drugs in Sport

Amid all of the current drama about Lance Armstrong, I just wanted to point to this post from the Sock Doc about Drugs in Sport....It is an interesting perspective.

The question you should ask yourself is just how natural you want to be. How clean do you want to be? And in turn – how healthy do you want to be? By no means am I saying that moderate caffeine, alcohol, or even sugar use is a problem (for most). But if you’re on a drug, for a medical condition or not, realize that you’re almost always altering some physiological function in your body that you shouldn’t be messing around with. If you’re better with it – what’s wrong so you can’t do without it? Why can’t you wake up, sleep, think, or perform in everyway without it?

I must admit to some confusion about the whole area of drugs in sport.  Sometimes I think that we should just hold up our hands and let the athletes do whatever they want.  The one that always gets me is altitude training.   Why is altitude training allowed yet blood doping / EPO isn't ?  It has the same effect.

None of this is about health; sport - especially at the top levels - is not about health.

Comments

Chuck said…
drugs or no drugs, preparing to and performing in the highest level athletic competition is hardly ever an activity that is good for one's health.
Andreas said…
Just to clarify:
EPO can easily improve your aerobic performance by 5-10% even if you are already in elite condition. Altitude training have an average effect of less than 1% compared to placebo. Even a high responder will only improve by ~2%. Blood doping have an effect somewhere in between.
FeelGoodEating said…
Even though most like to think about sports as this "fair" dual......
Since olden times sports has been about entertainment.
Now more so than ever.

As such, my opinion has changed over the years on how I feel about drugs in sport.

I say let them take whatever they like or not. To each his own.
These sports entertainers, train so hard, play so fucking hard, make many health sacrifices to get there"......why shouldn't they have access to the best of the best recovery methods so they can play another day for our entertainment.

I just don't see the difference between a race car with the latest technologies, a golfer with the newest club and ball, tennis player with engineered strings, etc, etc how's the body any different?

My two cents anyway.....

Marc
Steven Sashen said…
If you haven't seen "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" (documentary) yet... you must. It really explores this question well. And it's very entertaining.
Simon Whyatt said…
I think it's definitely a difficult question.

On the one hand, I'd agree with Chuck that sports aren't particularly good for your health anyway, but on the other, the use of certain drugs could have far more serious effects.

Who knows how many athletes there are out there that didn't want to take performance enhancing drugs, either as they felt it morally wrong, or didn't want to take the health risk, that might have been far more successful had the playing field been more even?

Or how about the athletes that have been pressurised into taking them, and suffered either physically or been caught and shamed, thus having their careers ended early or tarnished?

Personally, I think body building probably has it right by having natural and unnatural(?) competitions.

With regards to altitude training, I don't think you could really make it illegal, as that would mean certain area (i.e. places at high altitude) were out of bounds for athletes in training. What if you lived on a mountain ;-)

I'll also second that Bigger, Stronger, Faster is an excellent film - and that perhaps we should question the whole notion of sport, competition and the quest for glory, rather than just the methods used to get there...
js290 said…
Just like with motor racing where technological improvements made on the race track helps improve the road vehicles, doping in human powered sports should be used as an opportunity to better understand human metabolism and health. Figure out what works and why. Motor sports have tech inspection after the race. Drug tests in human powered sports should be used as such. Witch hunting Lance Armstrong doesn't improve the sport or our understanding of health. Figure out what he was using and why it was working so well for him and not others. And, see if there are similar effects for health improvements (or at least a better understanding of health) for the rest of us.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...