Skip to main content

Fact or Fiction 1

A couple of quotes from an article in May 1982 Iron Man, one of the first bodybuilding magazines I ever bought and one of the most sensible.

Stop worrying about your training and fretting over your diet.  Train hard and briefly using progressively heavier and heavier weights, get as much rest as you need between workouts and eat a healthy well varied diet.  Base your diet on natural foods as nature intended rather than on refined and processed foods....


Those people who expound the absolute need for dietary supplements, exotic training courses and specialist equipment nearly always have vested commercial interests in the perpetuation of these myths. Please learn from mine and many other people's mistakes and stop being misled by bodybuilding fiction.


From Bodybuilding Fact and Fiction by Stuart McRobert, in Iron Man May 1982 issue.


You know, 31 years after that was written and perhaps 30 years after I first read it I am realising how little things have changed.  This is what I've been getting at with some of my recent posts.

Comments

Unknown said…
Conditioning Research, Drew Baye and Clarence Bass form a Big Three of health and fitness sources.
The best advice you can find. I now try to absorb as much as I can from Drew Baye, I'll also buy "Take Charge", the new book by Clarence Bass, and then I'll probably disconnect and do some more important stuff. I know already everything there is to learn from blogs anyway, but one just can't help himself and waits for that scientific breakthrough that for sure comes next week:-)
Chris said…
you flatter me.

I will also buy Clarence's new book and look forward to it.
James Marshall said…
I like this link to the past. I wrote about a 1957 issue of "health and strength" magazine here:
http://www.excelsiorgroup.co.uk/blog/weight-training-women-lessons-1957

It is sometimes depressing to read what we have lost and how far backwards we have gone.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...