Skip to main content

Functional Training - ideas from Krav Maga

I've recently been to a couple of Krav Maga classes. I'm not a fighter but I do think that self defence is a useful skill and Krav is supposed to be simple to learn and very effective.

Last night the focus was on escaping from an attack which ends up with someone sat on top of you either punching or choking you.

A big thing was the bridge - thrusting your hips up and to the side to force the attacker off you. I've often seen the bridge described as a good posterior chain exercise. For example as described by Craig Ballantyne below:



This never seemed to me like a really useful exercise. Ok - it is about the only real posterior chain move that you can do with just bodyweight - especially if you just use one leg at a time, but it didn't seem useful..........Last night however things fell into place. This is a really important move! The videos below explain how important this motion is to get someone off you:





We drilled this a lot last night and I am sore today!

Comments

Anonymous said…
not bothering check if i'm right, but if i remember correctly isn´t that last video bridge move same as "umpas", as shown in here : http://journal.monkeybargym.com/videos/?tag=Core
Awesome videos, some really good exercises and tips, thanks a lot for this beautiful work.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...