Skip to main content

Slosh Pipe

I'm not sure where I first came across the Slosh Pipe. I think it was this article by Dan John. It is a great idea and one day - if I get a bigger flat or one with a garden I'll have to build one to play with.

The Slosh Pipe keeps getting recommended in different places. Mark Sisson wrote about it last week.

The slosh tube makes simple movements difficult. It makes you work hard for motions that you take for granted as a Primal fitness head. Even better, using a slosh tube doesn’t quite feel like a traditional workout. It’s fun and different. And isn’t that what effective workouts are all about? Tricking your body into performing hard work, and enjoying it?

Here is Rob putting it to work on one of his athletes.




And here is a strong girl walking with the pipe

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like to combine sprints, slosh pipe lunges and caber tosses for what I call the Paleo Sprint, Heave and Haul workout. It's a great contrast and compliment to weight work.
Anonymous said…
Hi Chris. Have you heard about this legal suit regarding Crossfit? Mind you, many Americans will sue a fire hydrant.

It seems to me, the ex-sailor took no responsibility, and the trainer may not have been great.

Ex-sailor wins lawsuit over CrossFit workout

The Associated Press
Posted : Monday Oct 13, 2008 7:52:48 EDT

MANASSAS, Va. — A former Navy information systems technician has been awarded $300,000 after suing a Manassas gym over an exercise program he says left him permanently disabled.

Makimba Mimms, 29, of Bristow says the CrossFit workout he did in 2005 caused him to urinate blood and his legs to swell.

Mimms sued Manassas World Gym, where he did the workout; Ruthless Training Concepts, a CrossFit affiliate at the time; and a Ruthless employee who administered the workout. A Prince William County jury found all three defendants liable Wednesday.

The CrossFit program is popular in law enforcement and military circles but has been criticized as dangerous. It involves timed, high-intensity strength training with little or no rest or water between sets.
Chris said…
Keith

thanks for the comment. I follow your blog and love to read about your workouts.

Cheers

Chri
Chris said…
Terrence

Yes I was aware of that. One of my bad habits is to lurk around the IronGarm discussion board where they have a pretty low view of Crossfit , although to be fair it is Mr Glassman that is really unpopular.

Did you see the Tnation piece on Crossfit?

http://tinyurl.com/6ennq7


Mike Boyle and Gray cook also discuss Crossfit here:

http://tinyurl.com/58n4ha

I think Crossfit has some good ideas but you need to be careful and scale things well.
viagra online said…
Those two are great athletes I will practice so hard to be like them!

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...