Skip to main content

More Vitamin D

The benefits of Vitamin D keep coming:


High levels of vitamin D in older people can reduce heart disease and diabetes

Dr Franco said: "We found that high levels of vitamin D among middle age and elderly populations are associated with a substantial decrease in cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome.

"Targeting vitamin D deficiency in adult populations could potentially slow the current epidemics of cardiometabolic disorders."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Have you run across this study suggesting too little vitamin D leads to increased diseases but too much leads to premature aging? http://www.kaluefflab.com/pdfs/publications/2009Touhimma.pdf
Chris said…
interesting. thanks
TedHutchinson said…
Higher serum vitamin D concentrations are associated with longer leukocyte telomere length in women
this research suggests the opposite.

The mouse vitamin D economy is significantly different from human requirements. Mouse astrocyte structure and function is far more limited than human brains and the calcium (hence vitamin d) requirement is totally different. Mice are more active at night and nocturnal animals generally get their vitamin D primarily from eating plants and fungi that have made D2 after being irradiated with sunshine.
It is dangerous to extrapolate from mouse studies to human requirements.
We only started observing Vitamin D toxicity when we started using Vitamin D2 as this isn't the form of vitamin D humans function best with.
Human bodies use Vitamin D3 best but vitamin D3 (at huge concentrations)is poison for rats/mice.
Mike T Nelson said…
Good stuff as always Chris!!

We are only just starting to see issues with Vit D since we are inside way too much and are extremely Vit D deficient.

Any time we make up for a deficiency we will see massive improvements.

Rock on
Mike T Nelson PhD(c)
Extreme Human Performance

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...