Skip to main content

Fat consumption and heart disease

See what you make of this:

Dietary cholesterol and egg consumption were associated with increased CVD risk ONLY in those with type 2 diabetes.

Comments?

Comments

Craig said…
Those with Type 2 Diabetes eat too much sugar, sugar causes inflammation, inflammation leads to CVD.
Anonymous said…
Seems a bit odd & perhaps another example of myopic research where a link needs to be drawn between DOC's and fat/cholesterol. Here you have a group with a disease that is driven largely through excess carbohydrate consumption (probably with some help from n-6 PUFA along the way), and the researchers, via FFQ, feel the need to associate eggs & cholesterol with the outcome. Perhaps those who consume a lot of eggs tend to have them on lots of toast smeared with margarine. So are eggs a part of the clinical picture or just an innocent bystander in a game where the researchers have to find some form of high-fat food in order for their results to fit their world view?

Or have I missed the boat completely!!??
williebr said…
Association.

It would be neat to see some randomized intervention stuff. However, I find it hard to believe that eggs & cholesterol would behave differently in type II folks.

I suspect that the type II folks that don't eat egg yolks are the more diligent ones who do other stuff right.
Alexandra said…
I think all the previous commenters are onto various good points. It's getting a little "old" to try and ferret out one thing that causes disease. I think we should all agree that the whole approach to diet, exercise, stress, and sleep can account for much of the differences in outcome, not just whether you eat eggs or fat.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...