Skip to main content

Training with Low Muscle Glycogen Enhances Fat Metabolism

This is a concept that hovers around a few training programmes and dietary approaches: training when you have low muscle glycogen either through prior intense exercise to deplete the glycogen (this is the approach Rusty takes in his Treadmill Ninja course) or via a low carb diet. Good to see a study to look at the concept.


Training in a state of glycogen depletion limited performance but increased fat burning. It would be interesting to see this compared with Phinney's work on low carb and endurance training.


Training with Low Muscle Glycogen Enhances Fat Metabolism in Well-Trained Cyclists.

PURPOSE:: To determine the effects of training with low muscle glycogen on exercise performance, substrate metabolism, and skeletal muscle adaptation. METHODS:: Fourteen well-trained cyclists were pair-matched and randomly assigned to HIGH or LOW-glycogen training groups. Subjects performed 9 aerobic training (AT; 90 min at 70% VO2max) and 9 high-intensity interval-training sessions (HIT; 8 x 5 min efforts, 1 min recovery) during a 3-wk period. HIGH trained once daily, alternating between AT on day 1 and HIT the following day, whereas LOW trained twice every second day, firstly performing AT and then 1 h later performing HIT. Pre and post-training measures were a resting muscle biopsy, metabolic measures during steady state cycling (SS), and a time trial (TT). RESULTS:: Power output during HIT was 297 +/- 8 W in LOW compared with 323 +/- 9 W in HIGH (P<0.05), however, TT performance improved by ~10% in both groups (P<0.05). Fat oxidation during SS increased after training in LOW (from 26+/-2 to 34+/-2 mumol/kg/min, P<0.01). Plasma FFA oxidation was similar before and after training in both groups but muscle-derived triacylglycerol oxidation increased after training in LOW (from 16+/-1 to 23+/-1 mumol/kg/min, P<0.05). Training with low muscle glycogen also increased beta-hydroxyacyl-CoA-dehydrogenase protein content (P<0.01).

CONCLUSION:: Training with low muscle glycogen reduced training intensity and, in terms of performance, was no more effective than training with high muscle glycogen. However, fat oxidation was increased after training with low muscle glycogen, which may have been due to enhanced metabolic adaptations in skeletal muscle.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A couple of things from that study;

Were the athletes adapted to low glycogen training? Taking athletes who are probably used to functioning on a high carb diet & then throwing them into this sort of study, you will see a drop in power unless they get a chance to adapt. I know when I shifted from a higher carb diet to a higher fat diet, my cycling went flat for 3-4 weeks. Power progressively came back after that point however.

The performance of the AT work in the morning and then HIT training in the afternoon is not a way in which I would advise to train. I would suggest that any power differences found might have been reduced or eliminated had teh HIT work been performed as the first session, followed by the steady state AT work in the glycogen depleted state. Thsi would have had the effect of allowing the athletes to maintain the training effect from the higher intensity work, plus gain the fat mobilisation benefits from the second session in a depleted state.

This is how I would use this sort of information in practice. And let's not forget that you would train low but race high. AFAIK, adapting over to higher fat mobilisation doesn't impair ones ability to carbo-load and maximise glycogen saturation (in fact, it may even enhance it).
Anonymous said…
I question your assumption that training with the HIT exercise before the AT would still create the fat mobilization benefits. Fat utilization is at its max around 60 to 70% of VO2max, depending on where you look.

By performing the AT first and depleting muscle glycogen you are forcing muscle to utilize fat during the HIT training at intensities where fat is usually not the key source. This is what I believe leads to the adaptation.

If you were to perform the HIT first you would preferentially use muscle glycogen as normal during HIT, then utilize predominantly more fat at 70% VO2 max where it is already more efficient to use fat.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...