Skip to main content

Can we eat to starve cancer?

In a comment on a recent post, Pieter pointed to this video:



Very thought provoking.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I listened to the whole lecture... and two things ruined it for me.
1. Nearly all the foods on that list are things I have bad reactions to (salicylates).
2. Ornish is involved in the project. That can't be good.
gibby1979 said…
So my PhD research is in cancer drug discovery. Angiogenesis in cancer is well known, this isn't a revolution. Judah Folkman, who recently passed away, previously at harvard medical school started the field in 1971. The drugs that have come to the market have not had a great success rate, it's very cancer dependent and in some cases can have negative impacts. In fact several trials have demonstrated that angiogenesis inhibitors have induced malignancy, the oxygen starved tumors breaking up and moving to find resources.
I also have no idea where the number of 90-95% of cancer being environmental. The number, according the national academy of sciences is closer to 70-75% but still debated.
Truthfully, I don't buy it (from the angiogenesis point of view) can diet help to prevent cancer, yes, but there is no revolution here. I'm going with him ignoring the inflammation issues, inflammation will eventually bring about angiogenesis as well. Most of the antiangiogenesis compounds and drugs he lists (with the exception of many of the anti-cancer drugs on the market) are anti-inflammatory.
Anonymous said…
One of the antiangiogenic foods on the list is soya. Paleo/Primal critique identifies soya as an antinutrient.

My dad has terminal environmental caused mesothelioma cancer after working with asbestos some fifty years ago. He eats most of the foods on the antiangiogenic list. However in the light of evidence that some cancers appear to be heavily dependent on sugar for energy, I've advised him to go low carb paleo by cutting out fruit except berries and sticking with lower carb veggies. Ultimately I'm fairly certain that this isnt going to do much more than prolong his life by a few months at best. Having been a regular competitive sports player right up until the symptoms started, I'm certain that in comparison with others with the same cancer who had low exercise levels prior to diagnosis, he has had remained alive for double the expected average.
Chris said…
TO be clear, I am not endorsing the video, just saying that there is some interesting ideas there.
Dr. B G said…
Chris,

I learn so much from your finds... Thank you for the incredible posting -- RIVETING.

It's too bad that Dr.Li did not discuss the value of an evo/paleo approach e.g. grain-free, meat, cholesterol, fat, herbs/leaves (which are not allergenic), resistance training to control angiogenesis.

Ketones, BCAAs/leucine, omega-6 veggie oil avoidance and reduction of excess blood insulin have been shown to control angiogenesis.

Both ULTRA high dose fish oil and Metformin are being used with positive outcomes (even for TNBC, triple-negative breast CA) -- both reduce serum insulin, improve insulin sensitivity and reduce body fat.

Implementing a ketogenic diet based on medium-chain triglyceride oil in pediatric patients with cancer.Nebeling LC, Lerner E.J Am Diet Assoc. 1995 Jun;95(6):693-7.
Effects of a ketogenic diet on tumor metabolism and nutritional status in pediatric oncology patients: two case reports.Nebeling LC, Miraldi F, Shurin SB, Lerner E.J Am Coll Nutr. 1995 Apr;14(2):202-8.
Branched-chain amino acids suppress insulin-resistance-based hepatocarcinogenesis in obese diabetic rats. Yoshiji H, Noguchi R, Kitade M, Kaji K, Ikenaka Y, Namisaki T, Yoshii J, Yanase K, Yamazaki M, Tsujimoto T, Akahane T, Kawaratani H, Uemura M, Fukui H. J Gastroenterol. 2009;44(5):483-91.
Metformin decreases angiogenesis via NF-kappaB and Erk1/2/Erk5 pathways by increasing the antiangiogenic thrombospondin-1. Tan BK, Adya R, Chen J, Farhatullah S, Heutling D, Mitchell D, Lehnert H, Randeva HS. Cardiovasc Res. 2009 Aug 1;83(3):566-74.
Obesity, hyperinsulinemia and breast cancer: novel targets and a novel role for metformin. Wysocki PJ, Wierusz-Wysocka B. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2010 May;10(4):509-19.
Omega-3 fatty acids, inflammation and angiogenesis: nutrigenomic effects as an explanation for anti-atherogenic and anti-inflammatory effects of fish and fish oils. Massaro M, Scoditti E, Carluccio MA, Montinari MR, De Caterina R. J Nutrigenet Nutrigenomics. 2008;1(1-2):4-23.
Modulation of angiogenesis by omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids is mediated by cyclooxygenases. Szymczak M, Murray M, Petrovic N. Blood. 2008 Apr 1;111(7):3514-21.

-grace

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...