Skip to main content

Pancreatic cancer: Fat protects.....Carbs damage?

I've had stuff previously on sugar and cancer

Interesting to spot this abstract which - as far as I read it - indicates that intakes of available carbohydrate, glycemic load and sucrose are associated with elevated risks for pancreatic cancer, while fat - particularly saturated fat - intake is associated with diminished risks.

Available Carbohydrates, Glycemic Load, and Pancreatic Cancer: Is There a Link?

I haven't seen the full study (does anyone have it?) so I am not sure why the abstract finishes with the statement:

Rather than being causal, the short-term increase in pancreatic cancer risk associated with high available carbohydrate and low fat intake may be capturing dietary changes associated with subclinical disease.
So they are saying that subclinical pancreatic cancer makes you eat more carbs and less fat!

Comments

MJT said…
"So they are saying that subclinical pancreatic cancer makes you eat more carbs and less fat!"

I think that is what they are are saying (I also don't have the full article). A small pancreatic tumor can partially (or completely) block the pancreatic duct so there are less enzymes (including amylase for fat digestion) reaching the small bowel. There may also be mild pancreatitis. The patient, not tolerating fat very well, may switch to a higher percentage of carbohyrdrates in the diet.

Just a thought.
Anonymous said…
I'll second that. Couldn't pancreatic damage might modulate insulin release, altering appetite? Of course, it would be no surprise if the neolithic agents of disease were the culprit in the first place.
Chris D said…
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zk2jwinczlv/available-carbohydrates-glycemic-load-pancreatic-cancer.pdf

full text

"In conclusion, in this prospective study, an elevated risk of pancreatic cancer was associated with a high glycemic load and available carbohydrate intake only among participants with less than 4 years of follow-up. The association of total and saturated fat, in turn, was inversely associated with pancreatic cancer in the earlier, but not later, follow-up period. This finding suggests that participants who were diagnosed with incident pancreatic cancer earlier during follow-up may have been symptomatic at the time the food frequency questionnaire was completed, altering their diets to include more easily digestible carbohydrates and less fat. Future prospective studies examining recent diet and pancreatic cancer risk should consider the potential influence of preclinical disease on self-reported intake."

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...