Skip to main content

Book Review - Waist Disposal by Dr John Briffa


I've been reading John Briffa's blog for quite a while. He is a medical doctor with a column in the Observer, but is something of an opponent of the Conventional Wisdom. Basically he holds to a low carb / primal diet, but he is not really an "athlete" so his advice and analysis comes across as much more down to earth than some

He has now written a book on weightloss for men - Waist Disposal: the ultimate fat loss manual for men.

Here is an interview about the book:



This is the sort of book that you could give to your skeptical friend or your wife. It is written in accessible language but makes good reference to scientific studies to support the argument. One feature that I like is that each chapter ends with a summary of the key points. If you wanted you could just read the final page of each chapter and get a good grounding in the arguments.

All the standard stuff is here :
  • why calorie counting doesn't work;
  • why carbs are a problem;
  • why fat isn't fattening; and
  • why protein matters.
There is also some treatment of exercise, but it is realistic - it is the diet that is key. It is pretty basic in terms of exercise but if you want more than this there are other books out there. (Basically walk lots and do some simple resistance training is his prescription.)

Overall it is a good book. Nothing that new if you have the sort of thing that I link to, but it is probably a book written in an accessible way so you could pass it on

Comments

Anonymous said…
It is a great book and I love the docs blog. I reviewed the book here:

http://primalmuse.blogspot.com/2010/05/book-review-waist-disposal.html

I found it hard to review as I was already a fan of Dr Briffa and had read his and many other similar views. But I passed the book on to a couple of others who haven't had that exposure and they unanimously love it.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...