Skip to main content

Don't make me give up booze or eat more veggies!

This raised a smile.

Men are prepared to eat more healthily......but don't push it! Given up booze or eating more vegetables is taking it all a bit too seriously

Men participating in a weight-loss intervention are able to implement key dietary messages, but not those relating to vegetables or alcohol: the Self-Help, Exercise and Diet using Internet Technology (SHED-IT) study.

CONCLUSIONS: Although men reported some positive dietary changes during weight loss, they did not increase vegetable intakes nor decrease alcohol consumption, while saturated fat, fibre and Na intakes still exceeded national targets. Future interventions for men should promote specific food-based guidelines to target improvements in their diet-related risk factor profile for chronic diseases.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hmm this applies to me. I think one of my biggest problems back when I lost and then regained the weight was that I would too often go and drink each weekend. Although Im not sure the alcohol itself put on much weight (I wouldn't eat for the next day) it took me ages to get back on track and so my weight kept stalling. This time I have cut out alcohol and the weight is dropping.
Anonymous said…
Dan,

With regards to alcohol, I believe weight gain while drinking is usually a combination of things. Obviously, moste people, myself included will indulge in the wrong types of food while drinking. Then there is the testosterone link. And less talked about and studied alcohol tends to change gut flora. The alteration is most likely for the worse & probably contributes to weight gain. Just my two cents.
Darrin said…
Funny!

At least men can still stay pretty healthy without needing to cut out the booze or raise the vegetable intake to obscene levels. I'd be curious to see what effects cooking as opposed to eating convenience foods have to change men's desires to eat healthy.
Frank said…
Well in the end, any ideas about saturated fat targets have been proven bullshit, for example by Siri-Tarino et al. and other studies that have clearly demonstrated the erronous idea, that saturated fats have anything to do with heart disease.

Targets for fibre are interesting, since fibre itself is quite a buzz topic that has very interesting research. Claims of reduced rates of colon cancer have been pretty much smashed by science...

Vegetables have their main usefulness due to vitamin content.
The main problem isnt that the men dont want to adhere to the protocol, they think veggies dont taste well. They just cant cook. If you give them cooking lessons instead of "health advice" you will be readily amazed how fast they can easily incorporate veggies. Problem isnt the veggies, problem is the guys cant cook for shit. Goes for women too, they are more masochistic in their diets when it comes to eating veggies though.

Drinking is idiotic in the first place. Dietary advice for drinking does not fly, you need drug therapy in that regard since it IS an overused but accepted drug in the western hemisphere.

Funny study though.
Frank said…
Well in the end, any ideas about saturated fat targets have been proven bullshit, for example by Siri-Tarino et al. and other studies that have clearly demonstrated the erronous idea, that saturated fats have anything to do with heart disease.

Targets for fibre are interesting, since fibre itself is quite a buzz topic that has very interesting research. Claims of reduced rates of colon cancer have been pretty much smashed by science...

Vegetables have their main usefulness due to vitamin content.
The main problem isnt that the men dont want to adhere to the protocol, they think veggies dont taste well. They just cant cook. If you give them cooking lessons instead of "health advice" you will be readily amazed how fast they can easily incorporate veggies. Problem isnt the veggies, problem is the guys cant cook for shit. Goes for women too, they are more masochistic in their diets when it comes to eating veggies though.

Drinking is idiotic in the first place. Dietary advice for drinking does not fly, you need drug therapy in that regard since it IS an overused but accepted drug in the western hemisphere.

Funny study though.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...