Skip to main content

Edinburgh Deep Tissue Massage

I often see my pal Colin when I need some kinks working out of my back. As a body worker - massage with some of Tom Myer's Anatomy Trains approaches - he really know his stuff.

He is currently using facebook to post interesting bits and pieces of remedial exercises and ideas on injury treatment.

Go over to his page on facebook, and click "like" so that you can keep up with the stuff he is writing. (Also visit his blog)

Here is the latest post (which accurately describes my back problems!):

When I get a new client one of the more common problem areas they come to me with will be their lower back. There’s also a pretty good chance that they spend most of the day sitting down so the source of the problem can, in some respects, be easy to identify. [edit - by the way there is an interesting piece on sitting here] Aside from poor posture and its associated problems one of the biggest contributory factors are the gluteals and gluteus medius in particular.

When we are sitting the gluteals are being stretched which over time causes them to become inactive, weak and, from a fascial point of view, tight. The primary role of glute medius is to stabilise the pelvis when we walk or run the loss of the ability of gluteus medius to do it’s job properly obviously will then cause a reduction of stability in the pelvis as we move.

This instability causes muscles in the torso such as the obliques and quadratus lumborum to have to work harder to stabilise the torso as they lack the base of a stable pelvis. This is compounded by the fact that the the increased fascial tension moves through what Tom Myers would call the lateral line from the gluteals and into the obliques and as a result affecting the back. While there is more to it all than what I’ve outlined above it would turn this short post into a much longer and not necessarily any more informative post so let’s get onto how to help fix it.

We want to try to activate and strengthen the glutes so this is a great exercise to do just that and comes with a great explanation from Dr Bill Booker. It is also a great exercise to include in any athlete’s warm up protocol .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...