Skip to main content

Paleo Leadership

I am reading a book that would appeal to anyone with an interest in the paelo diet / evolutionary fitness.  It is called :

Selected: Why Some People Lead, Why Others Follow and Why It Matters; What Evolutionary Psychology Tells Us About Leadership

It is a really interesting read and well drafted as well (I like the way that there is an introduction that tells you chapter by chapter what is coming).

The ideas are familiar if you have read arond hte ideas of evolutioanry fitness.  Two of the  basic ideas  put across are :

  • The savannah hypothesis - we are built as if we hunters living on the african savannah, living in tight tribes of 50-150 with really active life styles.
  • The mismatch hypothesis -  modern life does not align with this "ideal" context - i.e. we don't live or eat like hunters, we don't have active lifestyles and we don't live in tight tribes of 50 - 150.  Hence we face obesity, depression, etc etc
That is all pretty familiar stuff if you have hung around the sort of blogs (like Kurt, Methuselah, Matt Metzgar or Asclepius)  that I point to or read the interviews with people like Keith Thomas or Frank Forencich, or of course Mark Sisson.

What makes this interesting is that these ideas are applied to leadership.

We are not just physically built for the life of the savannah, we are psychologically wired for it to.  Without rationally wanting to we follow leaders who look like the Big Man who could protect us from attack or who could lead us in battle.  We follow those who are tall and fit, we don't naturally gravitate towards women leaders.

Our minds have been mainly sculpted during the Pleistocene era, spanning from around two million years ago until about 12,000 years ago, when we lived in small, isolated communities of about 150 people. In the absence of CVs and other objective ways of measuring competence, a fit, healthy, manly appearance was synonymous with leadership potential. In hunter-gatherer societies, conflicts were primarily settled by force, so being strong and tall were prerequisites. And sure enough, the taller candidates routinely triumph in American elections (for example, Obama, 6’1”, beat McCain, 5’9”). Another study found that CEOs rated as “stronger-looking” by observers tended to run higher-ranked companies than weaker-looking individuals; while children confronted with photographs of electoral candidates generally favour the eventual winner.

Here is the author talking about the ideas:



It is a really fascinating book and highly recommended.

There are some extracts and interviews available at:

The New Scientist

The Daily Telegraph

Comments

pieter d said…
Chris,

Thanks for pointing out this book.

Maybe I'm biased, because I'm very fascinated and interested in Africa, so I read a lot about it, also about hunter gatherers. But HGs in Africa don't seem to have leaders. Indeed they have men that are highly respected for their abilities (especially hunting), but there seems to be a tendency to let the group decide.

Interesting books are 'the harmless people' and 'the old way' by E.M.Thomas (on bushmen), 'the forest people' by C.M.Turnbull (on Pygmies), and literature on Hadza.
Chris said…
Pieter

that is something he touches on in the video - the democracy of paleo man
pieter d said…
I should have watched the video before commenting... ;(
Anonymous said…
Great, but what is this supposed to prove? Women lead now, short people win also. Me being both I might be sensitive to this topic but our society has moved away from that model and continues to do so
Chad said…
I haven't read the book, but thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to read it.
@ Anonymous: Even in primitive cultures around the world, women have led, and continue to do so. I believe we can evolve in an elightened way to let all people who show the skills of leadership to do just that, lead. It doesn't mean that part of what the book says isn't true. Our devolving from a closs knit group of friends, or tribe, has some drawbacks. Here in AMerica, there's a saying, "it takes a village to raise a child." I think we've gotten away from that...

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...