Skip to main content

Research on the double hip

LAst year I put up a post on the double hip in a punch, with a video from Peter Consterdine.



Anyway, i thought of that when I saw this piece of research.  It is about golf, but the principle is the same.

"Up until now, the evidence for 'loading the hips' has all been anecdotal," says Dr Su Stewart , who led the research. "Coaches emphasise it, and certainly any golfer can feel the tension the movement creates. What we have shown is how closely this relatively small movement correlates with increased angular velocity at the club head. A great golf drive is not simply about creating torque by rotating the body around the spine, it is also about creating torque within the hips by rotating the pelvis around the right hip joint itself."

In the study, eight right-handed male golfers with handicaps below five were tested in the laboratory with a variety of techniques including an array of 12 motion-capture cameras and 39 reflective markers (35 on the participants, four on the club).

When the results were analysed, significant correlations were found between club-head angular velocity at the moment of impact with the ball and left and right maximum hip moment. What's more right-hip torque was significantly correlated to swing intensity both at the top of the backswing and at mid-downswing showing that the right hip is instrumental in initiating and driving the downswings that achieve the greatest distance and so suggesting new avenues for both research and coaching.

Comments

John Sifferman said…
This is called a side hip snap in Circular Strength Training vocabulary - a very common movement in sport and life in general (punching, elbow strikes, throwing, pushing, etc.). It may be new to the white coats, but this has been around as long as men have, and taught since the earliest martial arts were developed.

I train this movement regularly with clubbell training - specifically the lateral exercises such as the side swing, side semi and mill, among others. I think it's the most appropriate tool for conditioning that specific movement.

Peter Constardine demonstrates the power possible from a full ROM side hip snap in application to a few strikes. What's important to realize is that this power is available in martial art, golf, and any other physical activity.

Also, you can generate quite a bit of power from a less than full side hip snap. Even a much tighter twist can produce a lot of force, and one of the things I like to teach is to only use as much force is necessary to accomplish the task at hand.

Obviously with a self defense situation or driving a golf ball, you want to generate as much power as possible. But with other activities, it may be of benefit to conserve energy and only use a tighter side hip snap.

Good stuff, Chris!
dr. m.c. said…
physics? more joints that can be brought to bear more opportunities to generate, load and transfer energy??
just saying...

thanks Chris. outstanding finds

mc
williebr said…
Very neat. What he was saying about transferring the hip IR/ER combo from other sports - golf, ice hockey, etc. to striking is such a simple, but obviously powerful idea.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...