Skip to main content

Statins - the Mainstream Media wakes up

BBC radio 4 news this morning is reporting a story featured in the Telegraph - throwing doubt on the efficacy of statin drugs.  The BBC is stating that there is little evidence that statins do anything for people who do not alread have heart problems.

Well welcome to the party guys!  The bloggers have been saying this for years and years and years.

Check out Dr Briffa for example:  Do statins save lives in essentially healthy people? (No)

or Dr Stephan Guyenet or many others - such as Peter.   I even featured somethin on this way back.

Comments

Asclepius said…
Not the only issue where the mainstream are late to the party:

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/sun_cream_caused_vitamin_problem_1_2940549
Scott Pierce said…
I like the fact that the truth is leaching out but that article was written shockingly bad. Hard to believe it was published in a major publication.
Billy Oblivion said…
You have to be careful about reading articles that site reviews that look at studies, all of which are of at best uncertain quality.

There seems to be some controversy among people who've looked at the data and the conclusions and they think maybe the review authors don't exactly have it right:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=10170

and from a different angle:
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=10300

If you are someone who reads this blog, it is likely you are also someone who is in the 2-3 standard deviations out of the norm for diet and exercise.

Unless you have bad genes you (the people who read this blog) are probably safe, you (we) don't eat soyburgers on wonderbread with mayo. We might still eat the occasional hamburger, even at McDonald's, but then we pay for it later. We may not think "we" get enough exercise, but we're getting 4-5 times the norm.

No, statins probably won't help (most of) "us", but they probably WILL help a significant number of folks hanging right in the middle of the curves.

The number in the review (near as I can tell) is about 1 life per 1000 people per year. This is, over 30 or 40 years, a lot of extra life.

My father died of a massive heart attack or stroke at 65. He was almost certainly in that group that statins would have helped. He didn't eat "right", his exercise was mostly running off at the mouth and jumping to conclusions, his BMI was about 38, and he smoked a pack a day.

A couple more birthday phone calls, a christmas or two more, seeing his other son walk down the aisle with his wife. That would have been nice.

And yes, exercise would have been his best bet, followed by stopping smoking and better diet. But "we" have been trying to get people to do that for what, 40 years now?

No, I suspect that statins--for many people--will increase both quality and quantity of life.

As for the side-effects, the number I see suggests that it's also "fairly small", and that like any medication you should work with your doctor to make sure you're taking the right stuff.
Asclepius said…
A story stating that statins are no good? Hmm must be time for a counter-news story to be released:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12333774

No wonder people are confused.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...