Skip to main content

Born to Run - TED Talk




I've mentioned this guy before - Christopher McDougall

Comments

Richard said…
Awesome video. I read an article on Men's Health about this tribe a while ago - http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/longevity

It goes into barefoot running quite a bit.
Simon Primal said…
I totally agree with McDougall on the issue of footwear, and found the book Born to Run highly entertaining, but have to say I find question with many of his theories.

For instance - We evolved to persistence hunt, meat providing the nutrition to develop our brains, therefore the best diet for an endurance runner - Vegetarian?

The Tarahumara eat rice and corn, and are healthier than us, so rice and corn must be the best food. They also smoke a roll up on the start line, should we do that too?

I would argue humans are born to adapt - Yes we can run, but we can also climb, swim, jump, throw (movnat anyone?) - We are a jack of all trades, master of none.

Had the scientist (stroke "unbiased" endurance runner)McDougall works with been a weightlifter, and had they gone to Bulgaria, could the book have been titled "born to lift?"

I do love the idea of Vibram FiveFingers being the answer to world peace however, just a shame they're so damn pricey!
Doug McGuff, MD said…
These TED videos are always inspiring in a tent-revival kind of way. It makes ME want to go out and run a marathon.

I think the injury patterns may have as much to do with the chronicity of steady state activity as it has to do with footwear. Steady state ANYTHING is bad IMO. When our ancestors persistence hunted, we did not jog an animal to death. There is a very fractal pattern of high and low intensity activity.

WRT the longevity of physical performance, I have clients in their 70's and 80's that perform at a strength level higher than the average 19 year old off the street. The wellspring of the active genotype lies within the musculature....particularly the fast twitch fibers.

Unfortunately, if you chronically partake in an activity that fails to recruit fast twitch fibers, the adaptation includes a loss of those fibers (which are physiologically perceived as excess baggage). Running is not necessarily bad...steady state running is definitely bad IMO.

WRT the injury issue, I have run my training facility for 14 years now and we have never injured a client. I have no injuries from the BBS approach, but have had some from other forms of exercise. Overall, no long term joint problems or overuse issues at all. I am stronger at 49 than I was at 19.

I do not make any claims for world peace.
JetAviator7 said…
Great video. I love to run, but my back gives me a lot of trouble. Lately I have been reading some teeter inversion table reviews that make it sound like it might be a great solution for me.

I miss running!

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...