Skip to main content

It is functional, right?

Thanks to Colin for pointing this out to me


Comments

Anonymous said…
Weight that wobbles ups the ante, and the risk...just sayin.
Asclepius said…
It might well do, but it is also rich in information to the body. In contrst what do smooth and fixed planes of motion tell our body about the environment we operate in?
Ryan said…
The guy doing the lifting is huge! It was frightening watching the guys hold onto the bar while the lifter pressed them to the sky. Takes some serious control.
Anonymous said…
Asclepius, I'm curious, do you personally combine maximal effort and instability in your training (if so some examples would be great) or are you only arguing in the abstract that this is a good thing for people to do?
Asclepius said…
I have no problem using 'unconventional' objects and employing them in my training. I am also a fan of asymmetric exercises. It is part of my mix. E.g. I shoulder my heavy duty kick bag and walk around with it. Occasionally I throw medicine balls around (one handed). In the first case I could use a sandbag, in the second I could use rocks (and on occasion have done).

Now if you have developed massive strength using the tight planes of a pressing machine then perhaps what the guy above does might lead to an injury if he continued to go full tilt every session with a guy hanging off each end of his barbell. But if you have incorporated such 'awkward' weight in to your training from the outset, your body is obviously better prepared.

Another example. Last year I had to carry several tonnes of rocks around my garden to build a rockery. The rocks were big and heavy and anything but regular in shape. I *suspect* that my weekly training prepared me quite well to lift the rocks from A to B as fast as I did.

The point is that the application of strength in the REAL WORLD was in anything but a controlled and orderly fashion in the way you'd use weights in a gym.

And that is what I train for - to have the capacity to handle life's slings and arrows which I assume will fire upon me in (what is it the paleo-econs call it?)...a none Baysian distribution!

Does this answer your question?
If the "weights" had done a few kips I'd be really impressed.
Anonymous said…
the one doing lifting is certainly strong, but still he has a good deal of abdominal obesity (=not a 'leangains' body type) - doesn't make sense unless he is in a profession which requires that much strength
Anonymous said…
Asclepius, yes, thanks for answering my question. Your examples are good ones but look to be life not so close to the edge as the guy in the clip. My training approach is actually the same as yours (that's why I asked), I don't use machines and also value unstable, asymmetrical real life strength/skill components in training but never attempt maximal efforts in conjunction with instability. I accent one or the other separately for safety reasons.

We could put this in a paleo context of, say, wrestling to subdue live prey to get a sense of the training skill.
Chris said…
Do you not think we are taking this a bit too seriously? This video is not a prescription for you to copy....just a bit of fun
Anonymous said…
Yes, Chris, exactly. Thanks for stating that explicitly. Many, many people injure themselves needlessly exercising and it would be sad if someone thought this would be a good thing to try "at home".

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...