Skip to main content

Guar Gum diarrhoea

Late back from work on Wednesday night it felt too late to cook but I wanted something so I opened a can of coconut milk.  Lovely.   Within 15 minutes my gut was bubbling.   In the middle of the night  - 3am - I got up and had an explosive liquid shit.  Fantastic.  Final dribble first thing in the morning......

Interesting listening the next day to the superb  Paleo-Nerd-A-Thon! podcast with Robb Wolf, Matt Lalonde and Chris Kresser,  Matt mentioend that some people struggle to tolerate coconut milk, not due to the milk itself but the guar gum ingredient which is a legume.

Time to check the labels more closely in future.

Comments

Aileen said…
Interesting. I've had three episodes of a similar thing lately and haven't been able to correlate it to anything obvious - or so I thought. I will look a little deeper.
Eric said…
Have you eaten that much coconut milk (or any other fat) in one sitting before? I find that pretty much any fat in too high a quantity leads to a scenario like that for me, guar gum or no.
John said…
If it is the guar gum, it sucks because I haven't found any canned coconut milk without it.
Methuselah said…
Chris - you have my sympathy! The crap you get in coconut milk has been pissing me off for years. The effects it had on you remind me of what dairy does to me.

Anyway, for john's and others' benefits, I can happily say that there ARE brands who do not put guar gum, starch or other garbage in their tins or cartons of coconut cream. A good sign is when the product comes 'settled' so that you have to mix the almost solid cream with the liquid to get a proper cream again. This is how non additive-riddled coconut cream behaves.

Look out for 'Ayam' (cans) and Chaokoh (cartons). I have ordered from these two sites in the past:

http://www.thai-food-online.co.uk
http://www.raanthai.co.uk

I did some blog posts about this last year:

http://paynowlivelater.blogspot.com/2010/08/dear-tropical-sun-why-is-there-crap-in.html
Spencer King said…
I'll second what Eric said. While I have no doubt that guard gum has some effect, if I ate that much fat in one sitting I'd get the runs too.
Anonymous said…
Chris,

It is the amount of guar gum in coconut milk that is the real culprit.

Many packaged foods have guar gum in them, but coconut milk has some of the highest concentrations.

The same thing happens to me from coconut milk Chris.

Cheers,
Marc
Feel Good Eating
Mike OD said…
Ha..I feel for you Chris. I tried my experiment with coconut milk shakes once....left me with a similar "cleansing" experience.

Will probably be some celebrity detox weight loss diet soon....a can of coconut milk a day.
Anonymous said…
goya brand is readily available at the store, and doesnt have guar gum. you have to blend it since it separates, but you can taste the difference for sure. and no squirts.
buy zenegra said…
Hi,
Interesting blog posted here.. Thanks for sharing this information...

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...