Skip to main content

World's oldest man did intermittent fasting

While I think such long life is probably just a Black Swan, random thing, I thought this was interesting:

World's oldest man dies at 114 - Walter Breuning was born in 1896 and put his longevity down to eating just two meals a day and working for as long as he could

Sounds like the 2 meal solution works....

Comments

Mikie said…
Interesting, but this guy is an extreme outlier, and it is not really 'proof' of intermittent fasting being effective. One could Point at a myriad of things as to why he lived so long, but he truth is that he is several deviations outside of the norm
Chuck said…
call me a stickler but don't we all geek out on the details. i mentioned this on another blog. seems what most are practicing is scheduled fasting not intermittent fasting. randomness of fasting is probably more likely what our ancestors practiced. or maybe they would have a small meal of leftovers in the morning and either a large or small meal at night depending how the days hunt went.

fasting seems like it would having beneficial effects but i am not sure todays voluntary fasters have it right.
Theah said…
I think it's more likely the "working as long as he could" thing works.

It doesn't make any sense to retire, at least the way a lot of people do. Imagine the life change you go through. Most people are interacting with people hourly and most people have physical activity in their job. You meet new people, deal with new challenges.

Work provides structure, social, mental, and physical activity. It's very hard to provide such a daily variety for yourself without work.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...