Skip to main content

Maffetone on walking

Phil Maffetone was ahead of the pack in some ways - he was talking about a low carb diet for endurance and getting barefoot years ago.

Anyway, still thinking of the upcoming Hillfit articles, he had a good piece on the walking gait the other day:

I'll copy all of it here but all his articles are worth checking out.


More on Gait
Dr. Phil Maffetone

The two-part article on gait (May 2011) was very popular. Among the reader’s questions were those about walking gait. Walking is an ideal workout for fat burning and overall fitness for millions of people. Runners often walk too, as warm up or cool down, as a method to develop more endurance (i.e., longer runs), and even during marathons, often unplanned. It’s actually not unusual to see the walking gait of runners as abnormal.

As discussed in the article on gait, there’s an obvious difference between walking and proper running, especially in how the foot strikes the ground (on the heel for walkers and more forward in runners). The walking body, which always has one foot in contract with the ground, functions like an inverted pendulum, swinging along step-by-step, literally vaulting over stiff legs with locked knees. Running should not involve locking the knee, as each is always slightly flexed while the foot is on the ground. Herein lies one problem with many runners who walk, and even those who don’t run. When walking, many people keep their knee slightly flexed instead of locked. It’s as if their knee is in a running gait pattern while the rest of the body is walking. This poses a potential physical problem—stress on the knee joint and in the muscles around it.

When walking, you should gently be locking your knee with each step, as you “vault over your foot and start pushing off. That doesn’t mean thrusting the knee joint into extension. But naturally allowing it to go into full extension and lock momentarily before continuing the normal gait cycle. This should never cause pain in the knee—if it does it means something is wrong somewhere (such as muscle imbalance, poor foot mechanics, or bad shoes).

In competitors performing the Olympic walk, in addition to making sure there is always contact with the ground, locking the knee is a requirement—otherwise they may be disqualified.

All other walkers need not be so concerned other than to avoid unnatural gait movements. Improper shoes promote this more than anything else. For runners, the problem may be they’re used to a slightly flexed knee during running and somehow this gets translated into a walking gait.

Many other factors discussed in the running gait article also apply to walkers. These include an upright posture, which promotes the use of the abdominal and gluteus maximus muscles, a slightly forward center of gravity (but not bending forward), allowing the pelvis to lead the way, and a level head. And, the wearing of flat shoes, which, while landing on your heels, you don’t remain there very long as your muscles and body’s forward motion quickly move you through the mid-foot and toe-off phase of gait.

Another question about gait was regarding children, and how shoes can interfere with it. This requires more discussion and is the topic of an upcoming article.

Phil's piece on hiking is also worth  reflecting on.

Comments

Wayne60618 said…
Good stuff. I didn't even know there was Olympic walking. Anway, I have been very interested in running gaits and techniques since I have had a couple of knee surgeries. I have tried to get back into the mix by using the vibrams, and thankfully they have helped quite a bit.

Wayne
ByeBellyFat.com

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...