Skip to main content

The single best exercise

I thought that this was an interesting article.  The journalist asked what different experts considered to be the single best exercise.   The conclusion seems to be hill sprints or at least sprints up stairs. 

The approach seems promising, since most of us have minimal time to exercise each week. Gibala last month published a new study of H.I.T., requiring only a stationary bicycle and some degree of grit. In this modified version, you sprint for 60 seconds at a pace that feels unpleasant but sustainable, followed by 60 seconds of pedaling easily, then another 60-second sprint and recovery, 10 times in all. “There’s no particular reason why” H.I.T. shouldn’t be adaptable to almost any sport, Gibala said, as long as you adequately push yourself.

Of course, to be effective, H.I.T. must hurt. But a study published last month found that when a group of recreational runners practiced H.I.T. on the track, they enjoyed the workout more than a second group of runners who jogged continuously for 50 minutes. The H.I.T. runners, the study’s authors suspect, were less bored.

The only glaring inadequacy of H.I.T. is that it builds muscular strength less effectively than, say, the squat. But even that can be partially remedied, Gibala said: “Sprinting up stairs is a power workout and interval session simultaneously.”Meaning that running up steps just might be the single best exercise of all.

That is the view of Martin Gibala.  He is the guy who has been doing a lot of research recently on the imapct of interval training, generally finding that short sprints can have the same effects as endurance exercise and that you also do not need to be flat out in the sprints to get the benefits.

The full paper for that last one is here.

Comments

Tim said…
I'm not a skeptic, I'm someone new to this who's trying to understand the departure from "modern day" tradition.

My question is;
Will a paleo lifestyle that includes an HIT training regime deliver on the endurance/ strength/cardio/physiological requirements needed for long distance mountain running (say 60-100km where you may have accumulated assending in excess of 2500 - 4000+ meters often in 25degree C + conditions).
In a one time event sense, against the clock this is very demanding stuff.

And therefore I'm a little uncertain that HIT in particular can deliver...
John said…
If we're talking about the typical inactive person looking for a little improvement, kettlebell snatches are definitely best. But, it's a stupid question anyway. What one food is best to live on?...This kind of thing is near-pointless to talk about. Does not choosing walking mean I'm not allowed to walk anywhere?
Anonymous said…
Did some sprinting three weeks ago and got a sore knee out of it, I'm 49 years old and lucky to still have working knees, I'll stick with jogging thank you very much.

All my life not a hint of a knee problem then I had to go and listen to the "experts" and add sprinting to my routine, thanks for nothing.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Agree that there is no single perfect exercise, but hill sprint intervals would be a good candidate. Body moves, shifts weight, uses glutes and hams, and great cardio. BTW, I do HIIT sprints and I'm 49.
Louise said…
HUGE fan of HIIT. Also, I don't think the point of the post is to say that once the most effective overall exercise is identified we should only do that. I think the point is to try and draw conclusions on our overall health regimens once we've identified what systems work best.
Kratoklastes said…
Sprinting Anonymous from May 26th - it never occurred to you to maybe do your first few HIIT sessions using an exercise medium that maybe offered less risk of injury?

The FIRST THING that crossed the mind of The Lovely and I when we decided to do HIIT, was to try it on either an exercise bike or an elliptical - to reduce the risk of connective-tissue trauma from higher levels of impact stress.

And lemme tell you - HIIT on an elliptical is AWESOME. We do a 30sec hard, 90sec recovery, for 20 minutes... and nowadays if our HRs aren't above 100% of theoretical max then we feel like we've piked.

The Lovely (RHR 48) gets her HR to the 220s, and old me (46) gets to the 170s easily. it's not even necessary to go quite so hard, but it feels fantastic both during and after.

By the end of it we're both smashed, sweating profusely, and half an hour later we're blitzed by the endorphin rush (I get roughly the same buzz as three glasses of wine).

Give it another crack - jogging makes people look like concentration camp inmates, and causes oxidative stress.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...