Skip to main content

The Hillfit Paradigm

I've already mentioned that I have got a monthly column in a UK hillwalking / backpacking  magazine - TGO

It is called Hillfit.  I will share some of the ideas here occaisionally.  The paradigm that I am promoting is:

A template – the Hillfit Paradigm

There is science behind what I recommend, but be aware that the same data can be interpreted differently depending on the presumptions of the reader. I will present a paradigm through which to view the data, to make sense of what you see. Let’s apply a “template”: “Hillfit” : minimal, foundational and functional.

  • Minimal – getting the maximum effect from a minimum investment of time and effort. Most of us have jobs and families. Time and money are precious. We will be efficient.
  • Foundational – What are we built for? How were we designed to move? Looking from the perspective of our ancestors, who for example would have walked or run but rarely jogged, many fitness programmes are too regimented and use “unnatural” moves.
  • Functional – training is not an end in itself, but should facilitate your FUN! My ideas might make you stronger or increase “metabolic conditioning”, but you must apply that capacity to your skill. You need to walk! It is about the hills not the gym.

I would now call the second point Ancestral, I think.


You can probably see my influences if you have read much of the stuff on this blog over the years.

Comments

Stipetic said…
I have a full-time job and a family, too, so I can relate. On point Minimal I'm not sure that our category prioritizes the minimization of effort. It's the time commitment that's the rate-limiting step, I believe. What do you think?
Chris G said…
Chris comparing the article with the above I can see how some editing took place! Have you considered asking if they can ditch the photo above the text? I would have thought that would give you a few hundred more words. I realise you may have to keep it especially with pics of exercise demos in future articles and what have you, just a thought.
Chris said…
Hi Chris

There was quite a lot of editing but I think that I am OK with that. It needs to fit in with their design and space and what I had written originally was just too long. I didn't really have a word allowance for the first piece so it needed editing down

I think I just have to accept that a magazine will edit things to fit into their space etc. and I think that the basics of the article are still there. I do worry that it ended up reading quite fragmented rather than flowing and also that the danger of short pieces is that it ends up as very "Daily Mai"l - little detail and all sensational assertions.

I now have a clear specification from them - 500 words for the article and 150 for the exercise part - so I am working on that basis. I've already sent i the next one almost exactly to those word counts, so it will be interesting to see what comes out.

By necessity at that word count there will not be the detail but that is the nature of the beast.

Chris, do I have your email address?
Chris G said…
I will pm you

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...