Skip to main content

More on sitting

John sent me a link to this interesting piece on the dangers of sitting.

 Smoking cigarettes is the cause of so much preventable, deadly disease. But now new research shows sitting for long stretches of time may be just as dangerous.

There was another study about this I spotted recently too (via a Dr Eades Tweet) - Just one day of sitting, even if eating is reduced to compensate, markedly decreases insulin sensitivity

Effects of 1 day of inactivity on insulin action in healthy men and women: interaction with energy intake

Daily activity is a must.

Comments

Anonymous said…
the evidence is mounting.. I really gotta do something. I sit in lectures the half day and the other half i sit at my laptop or at the piano..
Scott said…
Comparing sitting to smoking is epic. I wonder if we'll soon have health insurance rate discounts for people with stand up desks?
Tim D said…
Wow! I always new that inactivity was bad for you but this brings it to another level. I sit all day at work, but do workout one hour a day four times per week. The study you noted talked about how one hour of cardio per day wasn't enough if you sit too long. I will make sure from now on that every hour I will get up from my desk for at least 15 minutes and do some jumping jacks, burpees or pushups.

Thanks for the post,

Tim
It's sad/scary how so many of the things we've designed into the modern way of life just don't work for our health. I've been making an effort to move more lately (always helps that it's Summer) and it makes such a difference

Michael

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...