Skip to main content

New published article

The new TGO magazine is out today with another article from me.




I am told they have edited it a little so it will be interesting to see what survived and how it looks.  It is on hill walking fitness and if you have hung around this blog much it will all be familiar.  This first one is only introductory but the future ones will look at sprints, posture, basic strength exercises, reversing the damage done by sitting all day, being barefoot, sleep etc   Each month there will be a Movement of the Month - a stretch, mobility piece or a workout.  

I've had some input from  my pal Colin Gordon of Edinburgh Deep Tissue Massage.

I'm quite excited about this.

Comments

Marc said…
Congrats Chris!

It IS exciting....very exciting!

This is how the "paradigm shift" will occur in my opinion.
In ALL fields...

You are a front runner of this monumental change....

Marc
Methuselah said…
Am I being a bit thick - I can't seem to find the article once I get to the site...?
Chris said…
It is only in the magazine. They have edited it quite a bit but that is OK.
Methuselah said…
Ah... it's a real, physical magazine. I shall get a copy at the airport WHSmith tomorrow (travelling to China.) Well done.
Asclepius said…
Good work fella! Shall pick up a copy this weekend.
chris h said…
well might just be a bit late for any munros this next week when we are away!! but look forward to trying and reading it at some point
Chris said…
Cheers guys.

It is a struggle to write to a limited word count and I feel like I am dumbing everything down, but that is the reality of things I think.
Chad said…
Writing for mags can be a drag, but kudos to you all the same! Keep spreadin' the word!

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...