Skip to main content

Sleeping more means you get less fat

perhaps....


Longer sleep duration associates with lower adiposity gain in adult short sleepers

This study suggests for the first time that shifting sleep duration from a short to a healthier length is associated with an attenuation of fat mass gain.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is all fine and dandy, but how exactly do you go from being a short sleeper to a 7-8 hour a night sleeper? I would love to sleep for that long, but I'm lucky to get 5-6 hours a night. I'm paleo, no caffeine, room is blacked out, no lights at all. so how is this done?
John Sifferman said…
@Anonymous A lot of factors can contribute to having trouble sleeping. Apart from what you're already doing, I would also include vigorous exercise daily, and don't eat too close to bedtime.

Also, keep artificial lighting to a minimum after sunset (this one helps me a lot), and that includes TV and PC screens. If you must use a PC at night, consider getting the F.lux program. If all of that still isn't working, and you're not on any drugs that would interfere with sleep quality, it's time to consult a doctor to get a referral to a medical specialist.
John Sifferman said…
@Chris I've seen other research with similar findings. In particular, lack of sleep and poor sleep quality lead make it more difficult to lose bodyfat. Tom Venuto posted a really nice writeup not to long ago with several references cited:

http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2011/03/sleep-problems-and-major-weight-gain.php

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...