Skip to main content

You don't know squat.....

I had a good session with Colin (Edinburgh Deep Tissue Massage) last night.  After working out some kinks in my legs, neck and hip flexors he was checking out my squat pattern.

One of the thing he was getting me to work on was keeping the knees out and really squatting down between my legs, rather than just sitting back.  He explained that one of the keys was to keep the feet from collapsing to maintain the proper angle at the ankle.  Interesting and challenging.

Kelly Starret explains similar principles and Dan John explains the goblet squat in the same terms:

....people discover at this moment ... a basic physiological fact: The legs are not stuck like stilts under the torso. Rather, the torso is slung between the legs.

As you go down, leaning back with arms straight, you'll discover one of the true keys of lifting: you squat between your legs. You don't fold and unfold like an accordion; you sink between your legs. Don't just sit and read this. Get up and do it!
(There is another good goblet squat article here)

Kelly explains the issue of keeping a stable arch here:





Comments

SafeNSharp said…
Good post, but I have mixed feelings about it.

Yes, the Goblet squat is an excellent loaded or bodyweight squat for all the reasons listed.

But as I get older I find load isn't the be all, range of motion and alignment become increasingly important. Steve Maxwell's blog has a video on his 'Chinese Squat', part of his 'how to be a pistolero' posting. That squat, with feet under the hips, aligned toes forward, with a yoga block between the legs, give you a whole new feeling. Deeper range of motion for sure.. I'm still experimenting and digesting the results for myself. But I think this 'Chinese Squat' (no, nothing like the Hindu squat) or the Egoscue Free Squat may come closer to being a better movment for those who want to use their knees and hips fully into old age.
Chris said…
Cheers Sifter.

I don't actually see the goblet squat as a primarily a move for load but for mobility. I will check out The Maxwell's video.

Chris
SafeNSharp said…
No, I know.... though Dan John I believe wrote if you all did squat-wise was Goblets with a 100 lb dumbbell, you'd be pretty awesome. Anyway, sorry I dont' have the link handy, but do take a look, I think it's also an excellent mobility move.
Chris said…
I think he says that here:

http://www.mikemahler.com/articles/things_that_are_good_for_you.html

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...