Skip to main content

Ha! Lifehacker tried hard to be controversial but couldn't make it!

Last night I pointed to a piece on Lifehacker which listed some health myths which they "busted".  One of them was to do with cholesterol.  Of course the cholesterol hypothesis as usually understood is a pile of microbiome, and initially Lifehacker in their post pointed this out.  I cut and pasted the relevant paragraph into yesterday's post.

Today that whole paragraph has disappeared!  Instead there is something on snake venom with this footnote:

Note: Myth 9 previously discussed the relationship between high cholesterol and heart disease. We were working with some bad information and now believe it was incorrect, so we've added this snake bite myth instead. We apologize for any confusion or misinformation.

What a bunch of tossers!  They originally pointed to Malcolm Kendrick and Chris Kresser who refuted the cholesterol hypothesis but they now think that all that was "bad".    Ha.

Here is another refutation.

Comments

BJ McCurley said…
Weak.

Funny too because I had starred that article in Reader to go back to see if they actually were on the level. Saw your article first and gave a nod like you did. What a crock that they revised it. Wonder who put the screws to them...
Chris said…
Cheers BJ. Weak as you say
BJ McCurley said…
It was still showing the original article in my feed reader.

Recorded for posterity :)

http://i.imgur.com/0cQYE.png
Anonymous said…
Read Chris Masterjohn's articles on cholesterol. High cholesterol, depending on the numbers, is not necessarily a benign state that doesn't come with problems, including cardiovascular disease. Lets not make this into a simple "those silly scientists don't know what they are talking about" issue. As is often the case, the truth is somewhere in-between the high cholesterol doesn't matter opinion and the high cholesterol will kill you opinion.
Adam said…
hahahaha classic. Perhaps Lifehacker got pressure from some food lobby...

Pathetic. The article was about science. So the witches came in and got them to pull it down...
praguestepchild said…
Definitely weak. What is even more idiotic is the dietary cholesterol myth which is still pushed pretty hard, especially by vegan doctors (like PCRM). Don't eat cholesterol or it will go straight into your arteries and *boom* heart attack. Hacks.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...