Skip to main content

Strength training for stroke survivors

When it comes to strength training I am an enthusiast.  More than that I aspire to be an evangelist.  I want people to understand and realise the benefits that come to everyone from basic strength training.  Yes, athletes benefit but so do non athletes, the office worker, the elderly and the sick.   Strength training can be simple but will benefit in so many ways - improved balance, fewer falls, better insulin sensitivity, better leptin sensitivity, better energy metabolism.  Yet all these benefits are a mystery to the average person.  Exercise is a brisk walk when some modified pushups and squats could do so much.

That was one of the ideas I am trying to get across in the Hillfit book - basic, simple strength training for hiking and backpacking.

This is another study that highlights the benefits of strength training for stroke survivors:

Maximal Strength Training Enhances Strength and Functional Performance in Chronic Stroke Survivors.

After training, leg press strength improved by 30.6 kg (75%) and 17.8 kg (86%); plantarflexion strength improved by 35.5 kg (89%) and 28.5 kg (223%) for the unaffected and affected limbs, respectively, significantly different from the control period (all P < 0.01). The 6-min walk test improved by 13.9 m (within training period; P = 0.01), and the Timed Up and Go test time improved by 0.6 secs (within training period; P < 0.05). There were no significant changes in walking economy, peak aerobic capacity, Four-Square Step Test, or health-related quality-of-life after training.

Maximal strength training improved muscle strength in the most affected as well as in the non affected leg and improved Timed-Up-And-Go time and 6-min walk distance but did not alter Four-Step Square Test time, aerobic status, or quality-of-life among chronic stroke survivors.
While this study did not look say quality of life improved, the Get up and Go test and the walk distance certainly indicate improvements in function. 

There is a similar study here (full pdf available)  High-Intensity Resistance Training Improves Muscle Strength, Self-Reported Function, and Disability in Long-Term Stroke Survivors

Walking, getting out of a chair, climbing stairs...these are skills for which we need strength as we get older and as we get injured.

Comments

Mark C said…
Just because a study reports statistical significance doesn't mean it has any real world meaning.

To put the 'significant' results into perspective:

13.9 meters improvement over the span of six minutes amounts to approximately 2-3 extra steps (estimating based on a reduced stride length secondary to hemiparetic gait) every minute. While that can seem like a big difference, it isn't. It will not automatically change a person from a limited household ambulator to a community ambulator.

As far as the TUG is concerned, a half a second improvement is not significant either. It merely means the subjects (on average) were able to stand up, walk 10 meters down and back then sit again-a half a second quicker than the measurement prior to the intervention.

Now this isn't to say that busting someone who has had a stroke's ass with resistance training isn't the among the best remedies for gaining a higher level of function, because it is. But this study is a poor representation of the effects of strength training in CVA.
Skyler Tanner said…
Chris,

When I was first getting into this my boss had been training a stroke victim using the Superslow/HIT method for a number of years. While not 100% by any stretch, the fact that this guy came in half-paralyzed and could now walk with a mere limp and open doors with what had been a rubbish arm was quite impressive.

Of course even if it is great for these people, I suspect the practitioners will continue to do the least litigious method, similar to how strength is king when aging, and the research supports this, yet the blue hairs are doing water aerobics...

Best,
Skyler

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...